Avocado is an exotic fruit, but it tastes more like a vegetable in its taste and use in cooking. Most often, an alligator pear (another name for the fruit) is used in the preparation of salads, sauces and sushi. Tender and oily flesh well sets off the taste of fish and vegetables, used as an independent snack.
Maybe the taste of avocados will not impress everyone, but its useful properties will definitely not leave anyone indifferent. It is not for nothing that the fruit is widely used both in dietary nutrition and in cosmetology. Avocados contain a minimal amount of sugar, and about 25% of its composition is beneficial fats for the body, which increase the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels. It has a lot of vegetable protein, it is able to lower the level of "bad" cholesterol in the body. The rich vitamin composition has a restorative effect on the body, slows down the aging process, and improves performance.
Avocado is used very widely - it is recommended to include it in your diet even for patients with diabetes mellitus or those who want to lose weight. And in order to use an expensive fruit as efficiently as possible, you need to know a few simple rules for its storage.
Storage of Unripe Avocados
The peel of an avocado can be green or black. Do not be afraid of the unusual black color of the fruit - it is just a different grade.
The ripeness of the fetus can be determined by pressing on the peel - it should bend slightly under the fingers. If the avocado is hard (like an apple), then it’s not yet ripened.
Unripe specimens are easily brought to a mature state at home. Store avocados so that it ripened, you need at room temperature. Within 5-7 days, the fruit will become unstable, and the flesh will resemble butter in consistency. To speed up the ripening process, you can put it in a paper bag along with ripe apples or bananas. After 2-3 days, the avocado will be ready for use.
You should not count on quick ripening if you put solid fruit in the refrigerator. But if an unripe instance has been cut, it should be stored in the cold. At the same time, slices of the fetus are treated with lemon juice and pressed tightly to each other, and the bone must be left in place. Thus restored “avocado” is tightly wrapped in cling film.
Ripe Avocado Storage
Ripe fruit is stored uncut for the longest time in the vegetable compartment near the back of the refrigerator, where the temperature is as low as possible. You can extend the shelf life of the fetus by limiting its contact with air. Therefore, if it is planned to be used soon, it is best to store avocados in the refrigerator wrapped in cling film. You can also use a bag with a slider or a sealed container. The exact shelf life will depend on the degree of maturity of the individual fetus. When the skin of the fetus becomes too malleable when pressed, it must be used as quickly as possible, otherwise it will deteriorate.
It will not work for a long time to store the cut avocado. Immediately after contact with air, the tender flesh begins to oxidize and darken. You can slow down the process if you treat the slices with lemon juice, lime or vegetable oil, and then put them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. An alternative method is to store avocados on coarsely sliced onion slices, which are laid on the bottom of a plastic container.
Avocado storage in the freezer
Where to store avocados, if the fruit is already ripe or even overripe, but it is not planned to use it yet? The best solution is a freezer. The flesh of the fruit is oily and soft, therefore, when completely frozen and thawed, it can hardly be served on the table in the form of beautiful pieces. This is why avocados are best placed in mashed potatoes in the freezer. So the product will be ready for use immediately after defrosting and will occupy a minimum of space.
Making mashed potatoes is simple: wash the avocados, peel them, release them from the seeds and grind them in a blender. Lemon or lime juice is added to the resulting mass at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 1 fruit and mixed. The finished mixture is laid out in small portions in airtight containers or bags. In the freezer, the avocado will not lose its beneficial properties within 6 months.
Keeping an avocado at home is easy, as well as preparing meals with it. Indulge your loved ones with a variety of salads with delicate avocados or surprise the spicy taste of guacamole sauce. Try, experiment, create!
What fruits should be chosen
Completely ripe fruits should be bought if they plan to eat in the next few days. The degree of maturity is determined by structure. When pressing on the fetus, a small dimple should remain on its surface.
- The unripe fruit has a fiercely green, rather hard peel. He himself is hard to touch, and his taste is slightly reminiscent of an unripe pumpkin. To clear such an avocado and get a bone out of it is quite difficult.
- The peel of ripe fruit is dark green, uniform in color. With the exception of Hass, which is considered the largest, and when fully ripened, it turns black.
- The pulp of ripe avocado has a yellow - green color and an oily structure, and the bone is easily separated from it when cut.
- The skin of ripened fruit can be removed without effort by hand, and the taste of a mature avocado cannot be bitter.
Fruits that are intended for storage are best bought when their peel is still bright green. When it is dark - fruits should be consumed in the near future.
How much to store avocados
- Keep ripe Avocado should be at a temperature of + 4 ° C - + 6 ° C.
- And for him ripening a dark place with a temperature of + 18 ° C - + 24 ° C is suitable.
Under normal conditions, fruits remain fresh for 10 to 14 days. And if they are already cut, then no more than 6. Depending on the degree of maturity, the storage time may vary slightly.
Avocado storage until fully ripened
Shelf life of avocados that are not yet ripe may vary (containment conditions are important).
About a week, the fruit will remain fresh at a temperature of + 18 ° C - + 24 ° C. After this time, the fruit can be considered fully ripened. After this, storage should continue under the same conditions for no more than 2 days. And then send the fruit to a cold place for further savings.
Storage of unripe avocados placed in a paper bag will be shorter. The ripe fruit will not be earlier than after 5 days. If you put a ripe pear or apple in the same bag, the fruit will ripen much faster.
The average ripening period of an “alligator pear” is 2–3 weeks. In the cold, the fruits ripen slowly, while they should be wrapped with paper.
Unripe cut avocados cannot be stored without a refrigerator - it will begin to deteriorate very soon.
Ripe fruit storage
Storage of ripe avocados better occurs at a temperature of + 6 ° C - + 8 ° C, in paper bags. For this, the fruit and vegetable compartments of the refrigerator are well suited.
It will take longer to keep the avocado wrapped in cling film and placed in a vacuum container. As an option, put the fruit in a bag with a zip fastener, then remove the remaining air and seal it tightly. This will help prevent fruit from interacting with oxygen, which is a catalyst for ripening processes.
How to understand that an avocado has begun to deteriorate? On dark stripes on the pulp of the fruit and small droplets of juice on its slice. When these symptoms appear, fruits should be used immediately, without waiting for the moment when they become completely unsuitable for consumption.
Storage of the cut fruit
The pulp of an avocado has in its composition substances that are able to oxidize rapidly when interacting with oxygen. In this case, the flesh of the fruit quickly darkens (acquires a brown color). In order to prevent such a development of events, you can use several simple ways.
You can plentifully process a fruit slice with lemon juice, lime or apple (wine) vinegar, after which parts of the fruit will remain usable for up to 6 days.
The next way to store cut avocados is to preserve their slice with a thin layer of olive oil. This will create a barrier that will interfere with oxidative processes.
In any case, storage of the cut avocado should take place in a cold place, in a plastic container. In this case, you can store avocados for 5 days.
When the cut fruits are immersed in cool water and then kept in a cold place, they will darken on the second day. At the same time, the fruits absorb the liquid and lose some of their original qualities. They will get too soft structure and brown color.
Store ripe avocados at home for the longest time possible in frozen form. But for this it needs to be crushed: cut into cubes or mashed.
- The fruit is well washed, after which it must be cut into two parts, remove the stone and peel.
- The pulp is crushed to a puree state (for a fully ripe fruit, an ordinary fork is suitable). If you plan to freeze a large number of avocados - you can use a blender.
- In the resulting mass add 1 tbsp. l freshly squeezed lemon juice (lime) and mix thoroughly. When placed in a plastic container should be left to the top 2 - 3 cm. When freezing, the mass increases, which will inevitably lead to deformation of the container.
Avocado storage in the freezer can last up to 6 months.
An alternative is the following method.
- The fruit should be cut into 2 parts, and each wrapped in cling film.
- Then freeze in an airtight plastic bag.
Freezing robs the product of a significant portion of the nutrients and makes the structure watery. You can store avocados in the freezer in this form for up to 4 months.
Defrosting should be done in the refrigerator, about a day. In the process gradual defrosting the product maximally retains the remaining amount of useful qualities.
After defrosting, mashed potatoes are used as quickly as possible. The influence of open air affects its condition: the mass becomes dirty - brown. But the taste and structure of the product, this process does not change.
Avocado cannot be re-frozen.
It is best to eat avocados fresh when this fruit still contains the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals. But if the question of how much avocado can be stored remains relevant, there are enough ways to do this.
1-2 weeks — that’s how long an avocado lasts. But here we are talking about a half-ripe whole fruit.
The storage period for halved fruit will help to extend 5 recommendations:
- Do not remove the stone. Half with it will be stored longer. It prevents oxygen from entering the fibers.
- Damaged skin avocados are stored exclusively in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Contact with air must be limited. To do this, use cling film or a container with a lid.
- The place near the back of the refrigerator is the most suitable for storing the "alligator pear."
- You need to store the fruit strictly with the cut up - in this position it will wither not so quickly.
There are many ways to preserve the appearance of a cut avocado. Below is a rating of life hacks to increase the shelf life.
Top 7 Avocado Storage Methods
After cutting the avocado, it is no longer possible to keep it at room temperature. Here a refrigerator and a freezer will come to the rescue.
- In the frozen state, the fruit is stored for up to 5 months.
- The refrigerator will provide a trade dress for only a week.
In both cases, preparatory activities are necessary.
Rating of life hacks for storing half an avocado at home (in brackets indicates how much you can store):
- Puree freezing (up to 5 months),
- Store in a freezer cut into pieces (maximum 3 months),
- On a chopped onion substrate (6 days),
- Spray with lemon or lime juice (6 days),
- Lubricate the slice with olive oil (5 days),
- In a vacuum bag (maximum 4 days),
- In cold water (up to 48 hours).
Now - more about each.
This method maximizes the shelf life of products. Avocado should be soft and ripe.
For the preparation in the form of a puree, the algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Peel and peel the fruit.
- Using a fork or blender, grind the pulp to a smoothie condition.
- Arrange the mixture in containers.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and close the lid.
- Send to the freezer.
Such a preparation is useful for smoothies, sauce, soups and dressings.
Avocado pulp can be diced and frozen. Such a semi-finished product is prepared as follows:
- The peeled avocado must be cut into cubes.
- Arrange on boards or other flat utensils.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and put in the freezer.
- After the cubes become hard, they can be sorted into packets and finally frozen.
When forming portions, it should be borne in mind that it is impossible to send mashed potatoes or semi-finished products to the freezer again.
5 options for storing slices in the refrigerator
Only ripe fruit can be placed in the refrigerator. In a cut form, it can be sent to a cool environment only after appropriate processing.
Here are 5 options:
- Onion substrate. Chopped onion is laid on the bottom of the container, and on it - slices of avocado pulp up. Close the container.
- Sprinkle the flesh with lemon juice. After that, close the slices in the container.
- Lubricate the fruit slice with olive oil and put in a bowl that closes tightly.
- Use vacuum bags for storage,
- Put half the avocado in cold water. Keep in mind that already on the second day the flesh will begin to darken.
The most effective way is the first - with chopped onions. The fruit retains its color and taste for almost a week. Avocado does not absorb the smell of onions, so that it remains suitable for desserts.
Signs that the fruit has deteriorated
Improper storage conditions lead to premature damage to avocados.
Here is a list of signs of poor-quality fruit that you need to throw out immediately:
- too soft
- there are brown spots on the peel,
- bad smell
- slippery to the touch.
Avocado - a universal fruit that tastes in harmony with fish, is actively used to create sauces and desserts. Therefore, situations often arise when a half is left or an extra fruit is cut. Open, it will quickly darken and deteriorate. Therefore, choose the most suitable way for you to store the sliced avocado and never try to “reanimate” a spoiled fruit.
The degree of maturity is indicated by the color of the avocado:
- a pale green peel - the avocado should ripen substantially,
- medium green - can ripen in a room in a day,
- dark green or yellow green is what you need
- very dark, to black - the fruit is overripe or spoiled.
There are varieties in which a ripe avocado becomes almost black or black-purple. Therefore, you need to meticulously consider the peel. There should be no fracture, dents or stains. A ripe fruit of any color is always brilliant. Even a single small dark spot appears when the fruit begins to spoil.
Unripe avocados of any kind are always hard. Therefore, ripeness is determined by gently pressing the fetus with a finger:
- hard, there is no dent on the surface - the fruit is hard, it is guaranteed to be substandard, it can ripen under normal conditions in a week,
- slightly softens when pressed - capable of ripening in two to three days,
- a dent remains, but then disappears - a good, mature avocado,
- too soft, the pit of pressure does not disappear - the fetus is overripe.
Of particular importance is this trait for completely black fruits. Despite this skin color, some varieties of avocados are the most delicious. Their quality is determined solely by hardness.
It is easy to check the ripeness of the fruit by the cuttings. If there is a tail, it must be torn off. A green or light brown peel beneath it means that the fruit is ripe.
The black color of the peel under the tail helps to understand that the avocado has soured. Such instances are best avoided.
In a ripe avocado, the tail comes off easily. If it holds tight, the fetus needs to ripen.
Different varieties of exotica have a large or small bone. In mature specimens, it taps when shaking the fetus, and is easily removed from the pulp.
If the bone does not knock, it sits firmly - the exotic must be ripened.
A solid shiny peel, moderate hardness when pressed and an easy-to-peel stalk — these should be a ripe good avocado.
Ripe and green
Whole ripe or unripe fruits require different storage conditions.
- A container or a compartment for vegetables and fruits in the refrigerator is suitable for ripe ones. The second option is a zipped bag. After laying the fruits, air is removed from it. The refrigerator will retain a mature exot for five to six days. Это решает проблему как сохранить спелый авокадо до Нового года.Денек-другой фрукт может полежать на столе.
- Незрелые цельные экземпляры хранят только при комнатной температуре, пока не дозреют. Холодильник не подходит – там им не удастся дозреть никогда.
В холодильнике фрукт нельзя держать открытым: он потемнеет и вберет посторонние запахи.
With any storage method, you need to remember: the more ripe the exotic, the less its shelf life.
Cut fruits are stored as follows:
- sprinkle slices of pulp with lemon or lime juice, so as not to darken,
- connect the halves, wrap with cling film or put in a bag,
- send to the refrigerator (not the freezer).
Exot will retain color and taste for three to four days. The darkened sections of the pulp are cut to a clean layer. The product can be eaten.
Is freezing possible
The short shelf life of ripe fruits makes it relevant to question whether avocados can be frozen.
Freezing is the only way to preserve exot for a long time. However, this method is not for whole specimens: after defrosting, the flesh will turn into mashed potatoes. Separating it from the peel will be problematic.
Therefore, they act as follows:
- Washed dried exot is peeled, cut in half, a bone is taken out.
- The pulp is ground with a blender or cut into very small pieces.
- Lemon (or lime) juice is added to the puree or slices are sprayed with it so that they do not darken.
- Puree or pieces are laid out on tins. Suitable containers for making ice or small baking.
- Molds are sent to the freezer.
In such conditions, the exot is stored for six months.
Warming in the oven
Get a ripe fruit faster allows the oven:
- The fruits are washed, dried.
- Wrap culinary foil (each separately), lay on a baking sheet.
- The oven is heated to 190-200 ° C, turned off.
- A baking sheet with exotics is sent to the turned off oven, closed.
- After 9-11 minutes they pull out.
The cooled fruits unfold, peel, remove the stone. Then they act as usual.
A gas or electric oven is suitable.
The fastest way to ripen avocados is with a microwave:
- Fruit washed, dried.
- They stab with a knife in several places to the bone. This is necessary so that, due to the solid peel, the heated pulp that has increased in volume does not tear. You can clean it and cut into pieces.
- Stack in a lockable dish for the microwave.
- Warm up under the lid at maximum mode for 30 seconds. For "stone" instances, the timer is set for a minute, that is, twice as long.
- Take out, cool, peel.
You need to be aware that this method for a fruit is like shock therapy for a person. The whole fruit will change its taste and aroma, some useful properties will be lost. The cut will lose a lot of juice.
Fruits ripened in this way are suitable as ingredients for dishes, but not an independent delicacy.
If you want to feel the natural taste of avocados, heat treatment (microwave or oven) is not used for ripening fruits.
In a paper bag
If fruits are not needed urgently, it is better to ripen them in a gentle way - in a paper bag.
Here's how avocados are stored to ripen:
- A bag of opaque paper is filled with fruits and avocados.
- Tightly closed so that the light or the sun do not penetrate.
- Storage temperature + 18-23 ° C. A refrigerator or a cool basement is prohibited.
- After two to three days, check the status of the avocado, so as not to overshoot.
As neighbors in the package, any fruit will help: apples, pears, but the ideal companion is a banana. He is the closest relative to avocado. A prerequisite - ripe fruits are needed. From unripe more harm than good.
If there are no other fruits, the following solutions are possible:
- a packet of avocados filled with flour, in two or three days should ripen,
- in a packet he can ripen on his own, but in five to six days.
The "batch" method is based on the fact that ripe fruit produces ethylene. This gas helps to ripen other exotics faster, including avocados. A tightly sealed bag holds it, promoting maturation.
The method is not fast, but it allows you to ripen avocados, while maintaining useful properties, taste and aroma.
If there is no paper bag, a newspaper or opaque paper is suitable. Each fruit turns around, fits into a box. It is placed under the battery, on the kitchen cabinet, in a heated off oven or other warm place.
After two to three days, the fruits must be checked: they can ripen.
With any method of ripening in the room, the humidity should not be excessive. Otherwise, the fruit will begin to rot. An ideal place is a darkened mezzanine shelf.
Make the alligator pear ripe in foil
Foil is used in different ways.
If the fruit needs to ripen today for today, use the oven (gas or electric):
- Turn on the oven for heating - up to 200-210 ° C.
- Each exot is wrapped in two layers of foil so that there are no uncovered areas.
- Fruits are loaded into a hot off (!) Oven.
- After 9-11 minutes take out.
- The cooled fruit is peeled.
This method, like any heat treatment, changes the taste of avocados.
If there’s nowhere to rush, the avocado is wrapped in foil and left to ripen in the dark at room temperature for two to three days. All properties will be saved.
With boiling water
A quick way to ripen and soften an avocado is to pour boiling water over it:
- cut a bone
- chop the flesh into slices or other slices,
- put in a sieve or colander, lower in boiling water for one and a half to two minutes.
Chilled pulp is used as an ingredient for other dishes.
Is it possible to eat immature
It is better not to eat an unripe avocado - it is tasteless and dangerous. The pulp of unripe exotics is stuffed with toxins, which decompose upon maturation of the exot. The peel is especially poisonous.
If you want to know what it tastes like, it's okay to try a piece or two. In people, overeating with green fruits, severe poisoning is recorded. This is in a favorable situation.
The abundance of exporting countries allows you to enjoy the exotic year round. That is, the avocado season for Russia takes place non-stop: fruits from any country will always be in the supermarket.
Knowing the signs of a ripe exot, you can choose it right in the store.
And if you get a green exot, ripening it at home is not difficult. How to make avocados soft, everyone decides for himself. For a minute or a week, sparingly or extremely - it depends on the circumstances.
Heat processing helps ripen the fruit faster. But their taste will be different. If possible, it’s best not to rush. After all, fruits are brought to Russia from afar, they are not cheap.