In order to prevent the motor from overheating, it is necessary to know several signs of exceeding the permissible temperature. Here are some basic ways to determine if an engine is overheating.
You need to be guided by the temperature sensor - this is the surest way to identify the problem. Under no circumstances should lamp alarms be ignored.
If the engine starts to overheat, and the sensor does not display the actual state of affairs, you can recognize the problem by the sound characteristic of detonation. After pressing the gas pedal, instead of the traditional sound of the engine, ringing notes appear.
Well, the most obvious sign that cannot be overlooked - steam and even smoke begin to pour out from under the hood, depending on the degree of overheating.
In this case, an emergency stop is necessary. If this is not done, serious problems can arise that are dangerous not only for the engine and the car, but also for the safety of the driver and passengers.
Why does the engine overheat
Normally, the engine is cooled with a special liquid, and its operating temperature does not go beyond the norm. Therefore, you need to look for the causes of overheating in order to eliminate them and prevent the occurrence of such situations in the future. Here are the most common reasons an engine overheats.
Coolant leaks through damaged hoses, loose clamps, or other system parts. Leakage may result from damage to the radiator taps or wear to the gaskets. Need to look for damage. Often, leakage occurs as a result of evaporation when using low-quality antifreeze.
Overheating can occur as a result of the accumulation of a large amount of dirt in the radiator. It can be foliage, fluff, dirt or scale. Simple dirt is easy to remove on your own. But scale or traces of any sealing compounds can be dissolved only with the help of specialized tools. Better to entrust this step to professionals. In some cases, it is more profitable to replace the radiator instead of cleaning.
Damage to the thermostat or valves can also cause overheating. To determine the problem, after warming up the engine, it is necessary to check the temperature of the hose, if it has not warmed up, this is a breakdown of the thermostat.
Depressurization of the combustion chambers is the result and cause of overheating. As a result of burning gaskets and deformation of components, the operation of the entire system is disrupted. In addition, the cylinders may crack under the influence of high temperature, which exacerbates the situation.
It is only necessary to establish the cause by examining and checking each component of the system. Knowing the causes of overheating, you can eliminate them and prevent the engine from overheating. In addition, it is necessary to monitor the operation of the motor, monitor its condition and prevent any malfunctions.
Drive belts need to be tightened in a timely manner. It is also important to use high-quality fuel, to prevent the accumulation of dirt on the radiator. By following these simple rules of prevention, you can extend the life of the motor and prevent overheating.
Signs of engine overheating
Understand that the car overheated, you can on the following grounds:
- The position of the indicator arrow in the red zone.
- Engine temperature exceeds 80 degrees.
- Engine power drop.
- Signal of an emergency lamp of an overheat.
- Abrupt, unpleasant odor in the cabin.
- Steam from under the hood.
- Unsuitable for the operation of a working car, ringing when you press the gas pedal.
These signs indicate overheating of the engine, so when they appear, you need to stop, find the cause of the malfunction and eliminate it.
How to avoid overheating of the machine?
To avoid overheating of the engine, you need to adhere to several recommendations:
- Do not drive. The higher the speed, the more fuel burns, which leads to overheating of the engine. Drive in neutral gear, without sudden jerks from your seat and competition with other drivers.
- Buy good oil and coolant. With the onset of the summer period, be sure to change the oil to the summer version. The liquid for the winter season is more viscous, increasing friction between parts. And this will certainly lead to rapid wear of parts and their overheating in the summer. Also, coolant should not be ignored. If ordinary water is filled in instead, it will lead to the appearance of rust in the engine, which leads to the ingress of pieces of rust into the channels, due to which they become clogged and the engine overheats.
- Timely clean the grille. In the summer it is clogged with garbage, insects, branches. As a result, less air passes through the cooling system, which causes the engine to overheat.
- Do not forget about timely diagnosis and repair faults. If the machine works at full strength, then the risk of overheating is reduced.
What to do if overheating occurs?
If overheating happened on the road, then do not panic. Competent actions on your part will help save the car and continue the journey. So, what should be done with signs of overheating:
- Without stopping, turn on the stove and open the windows. This will increase the area of the cooling system, which will lower the temperature of the coolant. If at the same time you turn on the stove at low speeds, but quickly, the incoming air will cool the engine faster than in the parking lot.
- The second option is to stop with signs of overheating and especially if steam has fallen from under the hood. Stop in a safe place and turn on the emergency lights. Open the hood to cool the internal parts. It takes no more than 15 minutes.
- If there are no signs of fluid leakage, open the radiator cap and add coolant. Often the cause of overheating is boiling of the coolant. And after topping it, the engine temperature returns to normal and does not rise above the mark. The main rule is that it is possible to fill the fluid only with a decrease in pressure (soft hoses), in a thin stream.
- After the fluid has been added, start the engine. If the temperature does not rise, then you can continue to move. If it rises, but slowly, then move towards the workshop. But with a sharp increase in temperature, do not take risks and use the help to get to the masters.
- If the radiator becomes clogged, it will be necessary to clean it. Well, if the contamination is superficial, then you can clean it yourself. If dirt has accumulated inside, you will have to contact the workshop.
If overheating happens constantly, then without the help of specialists can not do. Be sure to contact the workshop to troubleshoot and normalize the engine cooling system.
What can not be done when the engine overheats?
Please note that some actions on your part are prohibited:
Never open the radiator cap and the expansion tank immediately after the vehicle stops. This will provoke a sharp discharge of liquid outward, and its temperature is 110 degrees. A burn of the hands and face is ensured.
Do not water the hot motor. This is the old "old-fashioned" method, which can lead to a split of parts due to a sharp change in temperature.
Remember that continuing to drive when the engine overheats is very dangerous! Be sure to stop and fix the problem.
How does the engine overheat?
Young motorists should understand in advance that the fact of exceeding the permissible temperature norm in the power unit of the machine is unacceptable. The reason for this is the unpleasant consequences associated with expensive engine repairs. Let’s explain what’s what. As you know, when heated, the parts tend to expand, when cooled, respectively, to narrow. However, in a situation with engine heating, everything is not so simple. The fact is that when a motor is subjected to an unacceptable effect of high temperature, its elements, obeying the laws of nature, expand, however, when returned to the temperature norm, they cannot always assume the initial state, which is called residual deformation. And it is not a secret at all that in the structure of a car engine even a millimeter difference from the norm can disrupt the proper operation of the unit.
Motor malfunctions during overheating
Note that engine overheating adversely affects low-reflector caps that prevent oil from entering through the gaps located between the guide and the valve stem into the cylinders. Since they are mainly made of silicone, is it worth talking about how to change their structure when heated? Damage also occurs on the oil scraper piston rings of a car. Overheating, they simply lose their elasticity, which can lead to increased oil consumption and deposits in the combustion chambers that prevent heat from the motor. Of course, all this leads to the need for auto repair. And if a good Citroen repair does not require colossal funds, the cost of repairing such machines as, for example, Lexus, Porsche or Infiniti can be unpleasantly surprising. Should I bring this up?
Engine Overheat Prevention
In order to prevent overheating of the vehicle’s power plant, it is necessary, first of all, to monitor the state of the corresponding units in an elementary way. Firstly, periodically it is necessary to check the level of coolant in the radiator and the expansion tank. Sometimes minor leaks are possible in the nozzles, which will reduce the required level of fluid availability. Secondly, it is important to monitor the cleanliness of the radiator, because if it is clogged or the tension of the drive belt is weakened, it will cease to effectively fulfill its function, which will also contribute to overheating. Thirdly, the cause of the motor overheating can be hidden in the malfunction of the thermostat.