Modular origami is a very exciting activity that gives great scope for creativity to everyone who has mastered the simple technique of making paper modules.
Before you make modules for origami, you need to prepare thick paper and a cutting tool.
How to make origami modules
You can use special paper sheets designed for making origami, but their cost is usually quite high, so at least at the training stage it is better to use ordinary paper for a high density printer - from 80 g / m 3 or higher (for example, Spectra Color).
Before you make modules, you will need to cut many identical rectangles out of paper. Conventional scissors can be used as a cutting tool. But a large number of blanks is tedious to cut, so it is more convenient to use an office cutter with a self-leveling rug.
We take a sheet of A4 format. Depending on the size of the modules, the paper sheet will need to be divided into 16 or 32 fragments. If we need 16 parts, fold the sheet horizontally two times, if 32 - three times. In the figure below, we folded the blank three times, if you need 16 blanks, then do not do the last bend.
Folding sheet for origami 1
Now we unfold the sheet and fold it in half vertically (the fold should remain on the left side). Then bend it twice horizontally 2 times. Expand the sheet. On it we will see the fold lines, along which we have to cut blanks for the modules.
Folding sheet for origami 2
A sheet to be divided into 16 parts looks like this.
The sheet is divided into 16 parts
And this is how the sheet looks, which will be divided into 32 parts.
The sheet is divided into 32 parts
We cut the sheet along the fold lines. From each small rectangle we have to make an origami module, the assembly diagram of which is presented below. Beginners are better off starting assembling modules from 1/16 paper sheet. Modules from 1/32 turn out to be more miniature and elegant, but the process of their assembly requires some skill.
Module assembly diagram:
Origami module assembly diagram
1- take a small rectangle,
2- fold it horizontally in half,
3- now fold twice vertically,
5- bend the “wings” on both sides,
6- turn over (the bent ends are longer),
7- we bend corners,
8- we turn the protruding part along with the corners,
9- bend the module, it takes the form of a triangle.
10-expand the triangle and get a ready-made module with pockets that resembles an airplane.
11, 12-fastening modules to each other using pockets.
We collect chains of ready-made modules of 10 pieces. If there are more of them, then the chain will not be strong - this will affect the quality of the craft.
Using modules as designer parts, you can create the most bizarre volumetric shapes from them that your imagination tells you.
Module assembly technique
Step-by-step instruction of modular origami for beginners, it contains a method for manufacturing a module of a triangular shape and a diagram of three-dimensional figures using the origami technique.
Folding three-dimensional shapes from identical paper parts is called modular origami. This activity is very laborious, but at the same time fascinating. Being engaged in modular origami technique, children develop not only fine motor skills of hands, but also mental, creative abilities.
First learn to fold the module. Take A4 paper and fold in half until 16 rectangles are obtained. Cut the sheets on the lines received into 16 parts.
- The module is folded according to a simple scheme from 1/16 of the sheet:
- A small rectangle is folded in half horizontally, then in half vertically.
- Expand the rectangle, turn on the back side with a convex fold line facing you.
- The left and right side of the rectangle from the fold line are bent down, connected to each other in the center.
- Turn the figure over and bend the protruding lower edges of the triangles up.
- The protruding corners of the triangles are bent inward.
- The big triangle is doubled and set.
For the manufacture of crafts using schemes that contain information about how many modules need to be made and what color they should be.
The module at the edges has 2 corners and 2 pockets on the fold line. These parts of the triangle are involved in fixing the modules to each other. Triangles are set in two ways - on long or short sides.. Bonding Options:
- Take three elements. Two elements are placed next to each other with long sides and 2 corners are inserted into the pockets of the third element, standing on the short sides.
- Two elements stand on long sides, insert 2 corners of one triangle into the pockets of the second.
- Two triangles stand on the short sides, one triangle is inserted with corners into the pockets of the other triangle.
Take a sheet and stack it into 32 parts. Billets are made of small rectangles, a total of 110 white blanks.
The first 3 rows are composed of 18 blanks. In the 1st row and the 3rd row they put the modules with short sides up, 2nd row - with the long side up.
Then put the modules into 3 corners. Compose 2 rows, each with 12 modules. Again make a series of 12 modules, but with the short side up.
Take 8 modules, insert the short side down. The top of the modules is pressed together and the rosebud is ready. The cocktail tube is pasted over with green paper and glued to the rose bud.
The first crafts from the modules
Small origami figures from modules are not inferior to large designs, they are also beautiful and interesting. Beginners easily collect the Christmas tree, lemon, strawberry, flower, watermelon peel, small swans.
Step-by-step instructions for designing a Christmas tree:
- Leaf, A 4 green color is cut into 4 equal parts. Take 1 rectangle, double it, cut it.
- Then 5 triangles are added from the rectangles.
- The top of the Christmas tree is made up of two small triangles, connecting them together.
- From the remaining three triangles add the bottom of the tree.
- They fold the brown rectangle in half and make the trunk of the Christmas tree out of it.
To make a small lemon, you need to make 96 dark yellow, 16 white, 16 yellow modules. Each row of modular lemon consists of 16 blanks, which have a short side up. The bottom of the lemon consists of three rows of modules. Yellow blanks are placed in the first row, white in the second row and dark yellow in the third row. After that, another 5 rows are made of dark yellow modules. The lemon is ready.
Flower for beginners
Beginner workshop: simple daisy flower.
- For a simple daisy flower, 20 pink or red modules are prepared. They form the center of the flower, inserting one element into another along the long side. Strip connected in a circle.
- On the outside, 10 yellow modules are connected.
- The circle is turned over and 10 yellow modules are reattached.
- Petals are constructed from 20 white elements. Two modules are put on the yellow triangles, then 3 modules for each element of the row. 30 elements are also used in white.
- Now a green stem with petals is attached to the flower, which is made by any familiar means.
Outline of a small figure
To make a baby swan, 22 triangles of dark yellow, 120 white and 1 red triangle are required. The first circle and all subsequent circles of the figure of a little swan are 15 pieces.
The body of the swan is made up of 3 rows of elements, then the product is connected and raised with the corners of the triangles upwards. 4. 5, 6, 7 rows of blanks are inserted from top to bottom. Having finished the 7th row, they begin to fold their wings. The wing is assembled anywhere in the workpiece of 6 elements.
The wing begins to be made of 1 dark yellow element, 4 white, again 1 dark yellow. Subsequently, each row of the wing is reduced by one white element, while the dark yellow modules remain at the end of each row. Work is completed when only 1 dark yellow module remains. The second wing is made in the same way. Fold the neck, putting on a triangle in a triangle of 15 pieces of white and at the end of 1 red - a beak. The finished strip is inserted between the red modules. Usually a whole family of small swans is stacked.
Big white swan
The white large swan is made up of 355 white modules and 1 red. While working on the craft, they make sure that the direction of the modules coincides.
The swan's body begins to build according to the scheme:
- At first 2 triangles are placed side by side, their corners are inserted into the pockets of 3 elements. On one side, substitute the next triangle and connect another triangle. Get in the first row 4 triangles in the second row - 3. In this way, all the triangles of the series are connected. At the base of the body are 30 elements, in the second row you get 29 elements. The first row is taken for 2 rows.
- The third row is made immediately with the first one for the crafts fortress. Elements of the 1st row are connected by elements of the 3rd row, on which 28 triangles are used.
- From a strip simulate a circle.
- The craft is pressed in the center and turned inside out, the corners are raised. Subsequent rows up to the eighth row are staggered, connecting the triangles from top to bottom in a checkerboard pattern, each row contains 30 triangles.
- From the seventh ring they begin to build a foundation for the wings. 10 triangles for the wing are inserted anywhere in the body. In the 8th row, the number of elements is reduced by one. Work on the wing is completed when 1 element remains.
- Count 2 modules from the beginning of the first wing and prepare the base for the second wing. The principle of working with it is similar.
- Then make a tail. A place for the tail is the side containing more free space. For the tail, connect the elements in descending order. The first row of the tail is 5 triangles, then 4, 3, 2, 1.
- The base for the neck is made by 2 modules, which are located on the opposite side from the tail. Fifteen pieces of blanks are interconnected, at the end they attach 1 blank of red color for the beak.
- The neck is placed between the tails.
To make the "Swan Princess", you must be guided by the step-by-step instructions and assembly diagram.
For the construction of three-dimensional figures you must have diligence and perseverance. DIY craft is the most valuable and expensive! She is the best gift for family and friends!