In order to increase its speed in crawl swimming at any distance (from 100 meters to several kilometers), it is required go through three stages:
- First of all, you need to put yourself a good swimming technique. This is the first and most important stage, without which all further efforts will be meaningless.
Aerobic endurance is achieved through regular training in the pool - it is recommended to do three (well, or at least two) classes per week, in which at least 20 minutes to work on the pulse in the range of 50-80 percent of the value of “MCHSS minus your age”.
Remember that heart needs to be protected and increased loads can cause irreversible changes in it - if this question interests you in more detail, watch this video:
Muscular endurance is also gained during training both in water and during training on land.
Thirdly, after you have completed the first two points (the correct technique and good physical shape), the further development of you as a swimmer will stop sooner or later and then a legitimate question will arise - what to do next to swim faster?
The answer to it is work on bugs and improve technology.
Error Detection: Why No Speed?
Your next step is to identify errors and shortcomings in your technique.
First of all, it should be noted that it is extremely difficult to identify mistakes yourself - you do not see yourself from the side, and when you swim, it seems that you are doing everything more or less correctly.
This problem has following solutions:
- Contact a trainer asking you to look at your equipment and identify errors and shortcomings. If there is an opportunity (including financial) - you can even get the opinion of several people - it will turn out to collect more recommendations and tips.
Next, we consider the main points that are most often associated with deficiencies in technology.
How to swim faster due to body position
At the stage of initial training, all attention is paid to the work of the arms, legs and breathing - this is understandable, because the above is the basis for the rabbit.
Nevertheless, when the base is mastered, it is worth paying great attention to how our body is located in the water.
In terms of swimming, The basic rules of hydrodynamics are as follows:
- the more streamlined the body, the less it brakes on water,
- the longer the body is, the better it glides on the water.
If your body is not elongated enough, not horizontally positioned, then due to this, your speed is significantly reduced.
Matter of technology
Errors in swimming technique will be the factor that reduces not only the speed of movement in and under water, but also limits the ability to overcome long distances. It is important to understand that only the correct work of the limbs, the correct position of the body in the water and the correct breathing will contribute to pushing forward. Mistakes lead to "floundering in place" when you try to just stay afloat and fight with water in order not to drown.
You can learn this technique in three ways: complex, long and fast. The first - the most inefficient - theoretical. You can read articles and books about swimming, or look at how others swim. If this method suits you, get down to business and make sure that you understand what is written correctly. It’s a little easier to study in training courses: in video or online swimming schools.
Most quickly, of course, you can master the technique if you train under the supervision of a professional trainer. Effective, but usually expensive, and the coach may simply not be in the nearest pool. But the result of personal training will come pretty quickly - a professional will notice and correct all errors. One of the training options is group training, as a rule, they are cheaper.
A good option would be to enroll in a swimming school like Moscow's I Love Swimming or “T.E.M.P.” - these are both group and individual lessons with special control of technology and the overall development of amateur athletes.
In addition to motivation, the trainers of these schools will give you all the technical knowledge about two important things: moving your hand forward and stroking. These are the basic elements of swimming, on which the whole technique of movement in water is built for any style, and, of course, they ultimately affect speed. If you do not master these nuances, you will have to work hard with your legs and spend all the energy on a push, losing strength over any significant distance.
How to learn how to properly balance the body
It is necessary to achieve the most horizontal position possible not due to the fact that the legs push behind, but due to the fact that the body itself is so located in the water.
To do this, remember that our chest is an air bag, which determines the balance of the body, and bottom - will always sink, because the legs do not contain air.
Forces that prevent you from taking a horizontal position
Imagine that your body is unbending and at the same time your chest lies on a round log. You need in that case push (transfer weight) to the very front of the chestto take a horizontal position.
How much to train?
The volume of loads is an equally important part in the development of your ability to swim long distances and develop as a swimmer. In fact, you will not need to spend every day in the pool, especially, and in other types of fitness, the muscles will need rest for their development and recovery. In order to “drive the technique into the muscles”, select 2-3 days a week, in which you can stably engage.
The ideal number of classes is not and cannot be, it all depends on your goals and capabilities. If you manage to swim 4-5 times a week, the results will come faster, but in this case you will need to take care of sufficient rest and not load the body in the remaining days with serious training in the gym.
Remember that cats can swim, but in order to do this efficiently and with health benefits, you will need to learn the technique and follow all the known rules. For example, food and drink: you need proteins for muscle growth, enough carbohydrates and a lot of water - in the pool moisture loss goes unnoticed, so always keep a bottle on the side, you can with isotonic.
Beginners, as a rule, require more training, with experience it will be possible to devote time only to honing the technique. The result usually comes after several months of training, so you can count on noticeable progress after 4-5 months of training under the supervision of an instructor. You can swim your first kilometer in a couple of months - hundreds of graduates of amateur swimming schools testify to this.
Head should be parallel to the bottom of the pool, the spine should be a straight line from the dorsal to the cervical.
When we lean on the chest, we also lean on the face, while the face should be relaxed.
This is very well described in this short video:
Some believe that training in the pool is different from any other in its structure. That is, they think that the process is as follows: come, change clothes, put on a hat and glasses, and swim until the time runs out. Meanwhile, there is also a warm-up, a hitch, sets and reps with rest between sets. Trainers also make plans, and one workout per week or week is different from others.
As a rule, a warm-up is the same warming up of muscles, it only happens in water. You just swim at a slow pace, it takes about 10-20 minutes as in the gym. You don’t need to work for a specific muscle group - just swim at a comfortable pace. Approximately the same amount of time is spent practicing basic movements and repulsions, the rest of the time is sets with approaches of 100-200 m and a rest between them of up to 30 seconds. At the end of each workout, you need to spend 5-10 minutes on a hitch - swimming at a very low rhythm and stretching “on the beach”.
It is important to always remember that you do not just swim in the pool, you have a goal - to increase the speed of the track. Therefore, sets need a serious approach. Some will be aimed at endurance over long distances, others - sprinting intervals on the ability to accelerate.
The rhythmic work of the legs and their balance
Crawl - this is the style of swimming in which the legs should work nonstop and rhythmically - Imagine that this is your constantly turned on motor.
Therefore, it is recommended that they develop their rhythmic work down to the subconscious level - this is done by swimming with the boardWhen we move only at the expense of the legs, ideally you need to take a breath for every sixth blow.
It is recommended to swim with the board at least 200 meters per set.
It is useful to combine swimming with and without fins.
Watch the second minute of this video, the leg work technique is well commented on there:
During inspiration, pay attention to: whether you start to push your hands on the swimming board, this should not be!
Also pay attention to the fact that the work always went from the hip, and the feet were extended.
Leg and arm coordination
Ideally, when a hand is put into water, the opposite leg kicks. Thanks to this, the leg helps the body rotate on its side, maintains the balance of the body, and contributes to better gliding.
For a bumpy rabbit, this is generally the basis of the technique (read about it here), but for a regular six-bunny rabbit, this is also recommended.
Bending angle for example video
First you need to hook the water and make a stroke with a brush perpendicular to the water.
This is perfectly shown here at the beginning of the video, other errors are also shown there:
As you can see, if the hand not bent enough - it turns out a small angle and bad stroke.
The position in which water capture is better
Investment in water: not in the center
The hand should be embedded in the water parallel to the line of movement - then the stroke will be more effective, and gliding is better.
Imagine that our body is axially divided by an insurmountable wall. Then right hand can work only in the right zone, but left, respectively - only in the left, they work parallel to each other and cannot enter the center.
Quality is more important than quantity
You will swim faster if your strokes are longer - after putting your hand into the water and after it the whole body should slide.
Therefore, it makes no sense to thresh your hands as quickly as possible (unless you swim 50 meters for a while) - it’s better to make still fast movements, but be sure to think about gliding and catching water.
Classic exercise, which is recommended for operating a long stroke - calculation of the strokes spent on one pool.
It is performed as follows:
- swim in the pool and count how many strokes it took,
- try swimming in the next pool with fewer strokes, and so on.
How to choose glasses
- There are many manufacturers of swimming goggles. Good ones to remember are Arena, Speedo, TYR, Finis, Aqua Sphere. Glasses of any of these companies may suit you; you need to try specific models. It’s not worth the pursuit of cheapness. Good points cost from 1,000 rubles, but they will last a long time. Sports supermarkets are not for you. It is important to find a special swimming store. Drive into the search bar, for example, “buy tyr glasses” and look for the offline store closest to the house.
- Glasses should not squeeze the eye sockets and nose bridge. Be sure to try them on! During the fitting, make sure that they do not press anywhere and stick easily to the face. After you find glasses about which you want to say “Mine!” And try them out, you can buy them already on the Internet, cheaper. Once again: points must be measured.
- If your glasses are fogged up during training, remove them, lick your tongue (yes, yes!) And rinse with water.
- Do not wipe the glasses with your hands or napkins. From this they quickly become cloudy.
- Sometimes for preventive purposes after training, you can pour liquid soap or shower gel into the glasses and rinse them and then dry them. This helps glasses to fog less.
- There are special products called "antifog" (literally - "fog"), which spray glasses before the swim, so that they do not fog. I do not use them, since there are many examples of corneal burns after their use. Your own saliva is free and safe.
- It is better to have two pairs of glasses. The only points can fail and be torn or lost, they can be stolen, you can forget them.
- In open water it floats perfectly in glasses with dark glasses, because in bright sun you need to protect your eyes from sunlight. Yes, and swim, looking at the sun in transparent lenses, it is impossible.
- For myopic there are special glasses with diopters. True, I swam with myopia –7 in lenses and ordinary glasses.
- At the competition, some athletes take with them a second pair of points and hide it under a hat. This is due to the fact that during a jump into the water it is easy to lose the glasses worn on you. I did it too, but I have never lost or broken those that were on me. However, I continue to take second points for insurance.
Other necessary equipment
- The swimsuit should sit tight on you. A light bikini in the pool can fly off and be awkward.
- There are separate, but there are one-piece swimsuits. If you have a wonderful press, then a separate swimsuit is what you need.
- It is better to choose high-quality swimwear from trusted manufacturers (see paragraph 1), as they are made of special material and will last you a long time, unlike ordinary ones that are not designed to withstand bleach and salt. Search the tag for endurance, chlorine resistant, waternity, extra life lycra. For two and a half years, not one of my swimsuits went to the scrap.
- Hats are silicone and rag. I do not like to swim in silicone, but this is a matter of taste. Need to try. Hair, of course, gets wet in both types of hats equally (surprise!), But rag is easier to put on and it does not squeeze the head.
- Surely you want to buy all the equipment that you saw in the pool. Suddenly come in handy? However, special equipment (board, calabash, shovels, buckets, flippers) is not necessary to buy. Usually in the pool or at your trainer all this is. Buy only if you are a terribly purposeful triathlete who decided to independently prepare for Ironman in six months.
- If you plan to swim long and seriously, it makes sense to add magnesium to the diet in the form of special capsules or tablets. This will save you from leg cramps that overtake many swimmers.
- You need a large and good backpack for things. An indecent amount of space in a backpack is occupied by a towel (or even two). However, in sports stores they sell special sheets (the search keyword is “microfiber”), which absorb moisture several times more efficient than ordinary towels, and take up very little space.
- For wet things, plastic bags with a zipper are perfect.
- Rubber slippers. We were all told from childhood not to go barefoot in public. Do not go. You really don't need a fungus. In addition, shale is not very convenient in such pools where you need second shoes and you give your street shoes for storage at the entrance. If you have socks or stockings, the jumper between your fingers is a very uncomfortable thing. It’s best to bring along ordinary slippers or crocuses.
- Some novice swimmers are interested in whether to use a nose clip. Usually clamps are used by athletes involved in synchronized swimming. The clamp will prevent you from learning to breathe properly.
What you need to know about the pool
- It is imperative that the pool is near your home or work. One needs to have incredibly strong motivation to go to the pool to distant lands early in the morning or before going to bed. The chances of you stop swimming are lower if the pool is nearby.
- There are pools of different sizes. The most popular are 25 and 50 meters. In fact, 25 meters is enough to prepare for any competition, and even more so - to learn how to swim.
- You need to make sure that in the pool you are considering there are no many pensioners in the morning and children in the evening. At first, you will be very uncomfortable and you will be scared of any excess movement, any wave and other swimmers. And even then, when the experience has accumulated, children swimming across the pool, or grandmothers-brassists will stop you from seriously and concentrated training.
- Find out in advance what is and what is not in the pool. It happened when, out of habit, I did not take a towel with me to a new pool and had to blow dry my body. Or there was no hairdryer. Or need help. Or a shoe bag. Learn in advance about all the features of a particular pool.
- The pool has its own "rules of the road." For example, on tracks only swim counterclockwise. If you swim in the center, then there is a great risk of crashing into someone. Обгонять плывущего впереди человека нужно с левой стороны, а плывущего сзади (если он быстрее) нужно пропускать вперёд, немного смещаясь вправо. Иногда, если на дорожке вас двое, можно договориться плавать по разным сторонам. Но в любом случае надо договариваться.
- Не стоит выжимать купальник в раздевалке, ведь там кто-нибудь может поскользнуться и упасть. Выжимать нужно в душевой.
- Берите в бассейн хороший крем для лица и тела, кондиционер для волос. The skin is very dry from bleach, so you need to put it in order after training. Sometimes I take eye drops in the pool, as they often turn red.
- If the trainer is not present at the training session with you, gave the tasks remotely and they do not fit into your head, and there is no time to learn by heart, write the training plan in large on a piece of paper, which you put in a transparent stationery file. Such a waterproof instruction can be left on the side and sometimes checked with it.
- Before the pool you need to wash for others, after - for yourself.
- Drink during training. I drink 3-4 glasses of water. Swimming is a serious sport, causing fluid loss no less than the same run. Do not allow dehydration.
- Swimmers often suffer from otitis media (a very painful inflammation of the inner ear) in the cold season, since they neglect the cap after training.
What you need to know about training
- At the initial stage, you simply have no other choice but to look for a coach or sign up for group training. The most important thing in swimming is the correct technique, you yourself will not learn from books and videos.
- You can find a good coach by recommendations (social networks and friends will help).
- When I started, I tried to read books that everyone recommends. But, believe me, it is completely unclear from them how and what to do until you try to do the appropriate exercises in water dozens of times yourself. In my opinion, books are of little use. A video makes sense to watch only in order to be inspired and admire what others can do.
- If you want to swim fast, know that parallel activities with other sports radically worsen swimming. Therefore, you need to plan your training taking into account the priority sport.
- Get ready for the fact that at first it will be very difficult not only physically, but primarily moral. You will swim with the board in the paddling pool for 15 meters. Choke. Do not understand how to breathe. The good news is it definitely goes. Be persistent and remember that the initial difficulties are temporary.
- Listen to the trainer as closely as possible. Try to feel physically what he means. Right hand next? Stronger than a stroke? Faster? Longer? Slide? If you understand and feel what he is talking about, progress will not be far off.
- The most difficult thing at first is to learn how to breathe into the water. To understand this with your head, in my opinion, is impossible. It seems that you will never succeed. It will work out. You just have to torment yourself a thousand times, and everything will come. No need to hold your breath. In water, it is exactly the same as on land. Inhale, exhale fully into the water. Inhalation - only by mouth, you can exhale through your nose or mouth. Breathe deeply.
- Since there will be a lot of water in the nose, stock up on napkins and scarves. In no case need to blow your nose into the pool.
- When laying ears in water, do not be alarmed. It will pass, water spills out. After training, jump, leaning towards the ear, in which water has accumulated - as in childhood.
- Be sure to try swimming in open water - in local waters or in the sea on vacation. Water everywhere has a different density. Swimming in the pool and in the sea are two different skills. Six months after the start of classes in the pool, I got into the Persian Gulf. I remember the panic that gripped me. I could not even understand how to breathe there, so much different space was around.
- There is no right way to swim. Someone breathes on the right side every second stroke, someone on both sides through the stroke, someone on the left side. Do not copy, look for the way that is convenient for you.
- Any training should have regularity. It is better to swim 2–4 times a week. You won’t succeed at one time.
- Think about the pleasant. In the water you do not see and hear what is happening around you, you don’t talk with anyone - you can only think. Negative thoughts can cause anxiety and even panic. Think of something good, concentrate on breathing. At that moment, when during swimming, I begin to resolve some working situation or plan a vacation, I can’t focus on body, water and technology. At a minimum, speed drops from this.
- Feet in swimming is not the main thing. Pay more attention to your hands and body position in water.
- Do not overload before training. If it happens that you are hungry, eat a banana or drink a glass of orange juice.
- If everything around you infuriates you and you are ready to kill your boss or colleague, then you urgently need to go to the pool! There is no better way to relieve stress.
The most important question: how to start, if you have any psychological block, fear. I drowned in childhood and until the age of 33 could not even think of swimming. But at some point I decided that I can. I found an experienced trainer and tried to learn. It worked.