Dzungarian hamsters are one of the most beloved good-natured charming animals for home keeping. They quickly get used to their hands and almost never bite. Very tiny, no more than 7-10 centimeters in length, they are much smaller than the Syrian size, unpretentious, do not require increased attention.
It is important to remember: proper care, feeding is the key to good health, long life of the rodent. In natural conditions, the animals do not live long, barely reaching one and a half years. The reason for this is illness, poor nutrition, predators that hunt hamsters. Calm home environment, lack of stress, illness prolongs life up to 3 years or more.
The opinion that you can eat all the jungars in a row is wrong. Although they look like mice, they are not so strong at all. Fat women constantly gnaw without refusing any food offered. But only quality food, the right menu will help ensure a good mood for hamsters and maintain health. Starting a small rodent, owners need to familiarize themselves with the rules for keeping the jungar, to learn how to feed dwarf hamsters at home.
Basic rules for keeping Dzungarian hamsters
When composing a diet, animals should be guided by their natural nutritional needs. Life in the steppe conditions adapted them to low-calorie food. Nutritious, fatty, it will damage the digestive system: the Dzungarian hamster is prone to obesity, and sweets are the cause of diabetes. In a confined space, when the animal does not have the ability to move a lot, the diet of the Dzungarian hamster should be composed correctly, avoiding the appearance of excess weight. On a day, a dzhungarik needs just a tablespoon of feed. Rodent activity is increased by frequent walks, outdoor games, and, of course, the wheel on which animals like to run.
Wild individuals feed on seeds, grain. Gathering stocks in a hole, they are sealed in it, eating a cold period with dry products. In spring and summer, the diet is more diverse: berries, fruits, vegetables, greens, insects, and smaller animals are used. The teeth of the Dzungarian hamster grow all their lives, so you need to give the opportunity to grind them.
The teeth of the Dzungarian hamster grow all their lives, so you need to give the opportunity to grind them.
The metabolism of a little glutton is fast, hamsters eat constantly. It is impossible to prevent starvation of the Dzungarian hamster, because of this his health will become worse. But obesity will not bring the hamster anything good.
What products are needed and allowed
Good health of the pet is facilitated by competent maintenance, a carefully selected diet.
What you need to give the Dzungarian hamster at home? Food should contain:
- Dry feed (grain mix).
- Juicy food: greens, vegetables, fruits, herbs, berries.
- Proteins of animal origin (lean meat, fish, insects, eggs).
- Mineral stone, vitamins, tree branches, shrubs.
The basis of the nutrition of the Dzungarian hamsters are grain mixtures.
What cereals are needed:
The shoots of cereal plants sprouted on the windowsill are useful.
You can give nuts, seeds:
- cashew nuts
- seeds of flax, sunflower, sesame, pumpkin.
It is recommended to purchase ready-made industrial special brands at the pet store that include the necessary nutrients, the required vitamins, and mineral supplements. They are hard enough, which provides the Dzungarian hamsters with the opportunity to grind the teeth growing throughout life. Pay attention to quality products from trusted manufacturers. As in any business, it is better not to buy cheap dry food in economy class.
The composition of the ready-made mixtures includes peas, hercules, oats, corn, nuts, seeds. Such packaging lasts for two months. It can be diluted with buckwheat, lentils, beans, mix the seeds of pumpkin, sunflower.
Fresh fruits are given stoned, seeds should be removed - contain toxic, deadly substances. It is important to remember that most juicy fruits include a lot of carbohydrates, it is often unacceptable to feed a sweet pet. In the diet of a dwarf mammal, sugars should be no more than 5%.
Of the fruits, few are allowed. Starting from two weeks of age, you can give, for example:
- Apple - cut into small slices. Sour, unripe, spoiled fruits can not be rodent.
- Pears are given a couple of times a week. Frequent use causes a laxative effect.
- Peaches, cherries, plums - every 7-10 days.
- Strawberries, grapes - a limited amount.
- Tropical fruits (banana).
The presented list can be supplemented with dried fruits. In winter, it is difficult to provide nutritious, vitamin-rich foods. It is worthwhile to prepare the fruits for the future by freezing or drying them. Dried banana, dried apricots, figs, raisins, dates, pre-soaked for 3-4 hours in water, are introduced into the menu. A small amount is added to food due to the high glucose content.
A low percentage of sugar is good for feeding the Dzungarian hamster vegetables. They are given twice a week.
- Cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin.
- Cabbage (broccoli, cauliflower).
- Radishes, carrots.
- Tomato - occasionally.
- Bulgarian (sweet) pepper - unlimited.
- Green beans - young shoots of asparagus, green peas.
Greens are collected away from the city limits (it has the ability to absorb harmful substances from the soil, air), roads, washes, dries.
- Household herbs (dill, parsley (lactating, pregnant forbidden), lettuce, coriander, basil). Celery - limited, it has a lot of fluid. Tops of carrots, beets will also be useful.
- Wild (plantain, dandelion, nettle, clover, alfalfa, bamboo shoots).
Juicy foods often contain pesticides and are thoroughly soaked for several hours. It is better if the greens are grown by the owners themselves, without the use of chemicals that can cause poisoning, cause the death of the pet.
Alfalfa hay, timothy grass will become a good source of fiber, necessary for intestinal motility.
Modern pet stores offer a wide variety of prepared feeds suitable for daily feeding of the Dzungarian hamster. This type of feeding is the most rational and balanced. The composition of the finished feed contains the following ingredients:
- raw seeds
- Hercules flakes
- raw nuts.
A variety of ready-made feeds from leading manufacturers is explained by the presence of various fortified additives in them. Each individual food item has a different ratio of ingredients: in one there are more nuts, in the other there are more seeds, depending on the individual preferences of the hamster.
To determine the brand of finished feed, you will have to try several manufacturers at once. If the dzhungarik refuses any version of the grain mixture, you should replace it with an analog of another company.
In addition to the finished grain mixture for the full development of any hamster, including the Dzungarian, the presence of the following components in the daily diet is necessary:
- Raw nuts. These include cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts and pine nuts. It is unacceptable to offer hamster roasted peanuts seasoned with salt.
- Raw vegetables. This is what dzhungariki hamsters eat from vegetable products: beets, carrots, bell peppers, eggplant, radishes, zucchini, pumpkin, non-bitter varieties are rare, corn grains, tomatoes, Chinese and cauliflower, broccoli, green peas and green beans. It is important that tomatoes and cucumbers should be strictly without harmful additives, it is advisable to abandon purchased vegetables. Radishes and beets are fed in limited quantities.
- Fruits. Among them, bananas, peaches, apples, pears, plums, blueberries, cherries, gooseberries, currants, apricots, grapes and strawberries are allowed. Berries can cause allergies, at the first sign of a reaction, you should abandon their presence on the menu.
- Greenery. Dung, salad leaves, parsley, wormwood and clover in limited quantities, knotweed, wheatgrass, nettle, dandelion (leaves), plantain, burdock leaves, twigs of fruit trees are especially useful to Dzhungar hamsters.
- Protein in its purest form. Despite the herbivorous origin of the hamster, it is necessary to periodically give the pet animal protein. 1-2 times a week, boiled chicken without salt, cottage cheese, low-fat boiled fish or chicken eggs should be added to the diet of the dzhungarik. For a variety of diets, zoologists suggest periodically pampering your pet with shrimp meat, earthworms and natural yogurt.
- Dried fruits. You can feed jungarik with dried fruit as a treat. Dried apricots, raisins, dried apples and pears, as well as banana chips are suitable.
Vitamins for Dzhungarika
Like any living creature, a Dzungarian hamster needs a complex of vitamins to maintain health and activity.
Important! Human options for supplements for dzhungariki are not suitable, because they contain completely different proportions of elements.
In pet stores and veterinary pharmacies, a wide selection of complexes are presented that have established themselves well in the modern market. There are two forms of complementary foods - liquid and solid. A good vitamin complex should include:
- Vitamin E for good blood circulation and normal functioning of the muscle system,
- Vitamin A, which helps the body of the jungarik fight dangerous infections,
- ascorbic acid for cell tissue growth and strong immunity,
- vitamin D, regulating the metabolic processes between calcium and phosphorus,
- Vitamin B, which improves digestion and normalizes blood sugar.
It is important to supplement the hamster’s regular diet with vitamin complexes in the absence of fresh vegetables and herbs.
A special drinker with fresh water should always be present in the hamster's cage. The average liquid requirement for a dzhungarik is from 2.5 to 7 ml per day, depending on air temperature, nutrition and activity. Preference should be given to bottled water or filtered, it is necessary to change it in the drinker daily.
It is not recommended to water the hamster with tap water. It contains too much bleach, significantly reducing the life of a pet.
Having decided what you can feed the Dzungarian hamsters, it is important to make the right schedule in order to get a varied and balanced menu for your pet. The main feature of food is a competent combination of permitted products. The diet of the hamster should not be monotonous, but 80% of its percent is finished food from a mixture of cereals.
It is imperative that your pet receive daily dry, protein and juicy food; these three components of the menu are the main constant diet. In no case is it allowed to arrange a day for the jungarik only with vegetables or only with protein in the diet.
Important! Dzhungariki, like all hamsters, are characterized by a craving for storing food. In this regard, it is not recommended to give them treats in large quantities, since hidden food will quickly deteriorate and rot.
Additional feeding to the main dry food is carried out according to the following schedule:
- protein foods (meat and eggs) - not more than 1 time per week,
- greens - every other day, it is preferable that it be dried,
- fruits and allowed berries - 1 time in 2 weeks,
- nuts and raw seeds should be given in the form of goodies not too often and in moderation,
- vegetables, especially white and green, 2-3 times a week.
When feeding dzungariks with vegetables and fruits, seasonal products should be preferred, because only then will they benefit the body of the animal. It is advisable to peel apples and pears. All products for the Dzungarian hamster should be fresh and well washed.
What is not allowed?
In addition to what hamsters can, it is extremely important to know what they can not eat, a list of such products you will find below. They are forbidden to feed rodents, as they can cause fatal harm to their health. The list of prohibited foods is actually very extensive, but the following items are most dangerous for a pet and should be completely excluded:
- watermelon is a source of nitrates,
- almonds and apricot kernels are poison because they contain hydrocyanic acid,
- elderberry and honeysuckle can cause severe cramps,
- the potato contains dangerous solanine,
- astringents with a high content of tannins can cause big digestive problems, as well as spices that irritate the mucous membrane,
- cabbage and brown bread can cause fermentation, gas formation for hamsters is fatal,
- fatty and fried foods are completely excluded,
- sour cream, cream, milk,
- prepared cereals and cereal breakfasts, they contain sugar,
- unrefined seeds, since the husk is capable of injuring the mucous membrane of the oral cavity,
- sour berries
- garlic, onions in any form, sorrel,
- raspberries - causes diarrhea,
- sausages and sausages, as well as any meat products containing soy,
- essential oils and any spices.
It should be noted that the dzhungarik is strictly forbidden to feed any products from the table. The fact that for humans in small doses is not dangerous, can be fatal for a hamster because of its small size. All pet food should be at room temperature.
When compiling a diet, it is best to focus on what the Dzungarian hamsters eat in nature. Their natural menu consists mainly of crops, seeds. After the autumn blockage of the inlet to the hole, the wild rodent feeds exclusively with stored dry food all winter. In the spring, the hamster eats growing grass, greens, and in the summer season tries to get fruits, berries, vegetables, insects and other small representatives of the fauna.
Compared to larger hamsters, the dzhungarik is extremely voracious - the amount of his daily food is 70% of the weight of the animal itself. Dzhungariki love to eat. They have small dimensions, with which their super-fast metabolism is associated. Fasting with this metabolism is more than undesirable. But no less important is not to overfeed. The tendency to gluttony and obesity are among the features of this breed.
Feed the small Dzungarian hamsters should be a maximum of twice a day. Fluffy metabolism is easy to upset. To avoid this, do not combine games with feeding - give a treat so that the animal rises to its full height, etc.
The animal is prone to diabetes. It is better to exclude sugar-containing products from the hamster’s food (or minimize them). It is important not only to take care of the pet’s proper nutrition, but also to control its activity - to establish a running wheel, let it out for a walk, etc. These measures will help the animal not to turn into a barely moving bumpkin and, accordingly, prolong its life.
The composition of the diet
Nutrition dzhungarika should have the following proportions:
In addition, it is necessary to ensure that there is enough solid food in the diet. It is necessary for grinding continuously growing teeth (one of the characteristic features of rodents).
The right menu for a decorative Dzungarian hamster consists mainly of three types of feed:
- dry (grain mixtures),
- juicy (grass, herbs, vegetables, fruits, berries),
- protein (egg, fish, diet meat).
When a new product is included in the diet, microdoses should be started. When changing the manufacturer of the dry mix, you also need to proceed carefully - replace the feed gradually over a week. Otherwise, the hamster will have an upset stomach.
When drawing up a diet for a hamster should be guided by common sense. The body of the animal is different from the human, therefore, food from their own table can not be given to them. Sweets (chocolates, granola, kozinak, ice cream, honey, etc.) are especially prohibited. In addition to sweets, you can’t give jungars a salty, fatty, fried and spiced food.
What else should be given to Dzungarian hamsters
To maintain a good mood and well-being, other products are important. These include:
- Mineral stone
- Solid treats (dog biscuits) are given once every seven days to grind the incisors. If the teeth become excessively long, they can damage the palate.
- Protein food (low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir, boiled rabbit meat, turkey, chicken, eggs, low-fat boiled fish, earthworms purchased at the pet store, butterflies, daphnia, gammarus, grasshoppers, peeled shrimps. Turkmen cockroach is ideal). Caught in nature, insects are often infected with microorganisms that cause rodent diseases.
- Clean, daily changing water, even if the animal drinks little. Stagnant liquid is poured. Filtered spring water is suitable. The drinker should be protected from sunlight, which provokes the growth of algae inside the tank.
The feeder is washed regularly. Grain, dry food is poured every day. Accustoming to a new component is carried out gradually, starting with a small crumb. Unfinished residues are thrown away. Маленький обжора склонен делать запасы, поедание испорченных продуктов чревато отравлением.
In case of indigestion, dzhungariks are drunk with rice broth, which has an enveloping, fastening effect. They feed babies who find themselves without mother's milk, dairy-free mixtures, ordinary cereals soaked in water, vegetable, meat puree for children without the addition of salt, sugar.
What can not be fed
Some human foods are poisonous to animals. It is impossible to treat everyone without fear for the health of a rodent. The animal is small in size, a slight crumb will cause suffocation, intoxication, death.
What is forbidden to eat a Dzungarian hamster:
- Cabbage, beans, bread - cause fermentation, trigger rotting processes in the intestines.
- Potato - contains a large amount of starch.
- Spices - irritate the digestive tract.
- Mushrooms are heavy food.
- Onions, garlic, sorrel.
- Honey, chocolate (rich in theobromine, which affects the cardiovascular system).
- Sour berries: sea buckthorn, draris.
- Raspberry - weakens.
- Almonds - contains toxic cyanic, hydrocyanic acid.
- Melons, watermelons - often processed with nitrates.
- Fatty food.
- Bakery products, pasta. Black bread - has a high acidity, causes gas formation.
- Milk, sour cream, cream, butter.
- Sausages, sausages include banned soy, starch, spices.
- Muesli, breakfast cereals - rich in sugar, harmful flavors.
- Exotic fruits - persimmons - are rich in astringents, tannins that cause constipation. Avocado (massive amount of fat), pineapple, pomegranate, mango, kiwi, orange, lemon (acid).
- The seeds of apricot, peaches, cherries.
- Unpeeled seeds, pasta - injure the buccal sacs of animals.
- Brightly colored berries, fruits - cause allergic reactions. Watery eyes, redness, itching - a reason to abandon the product.
- Fatty cheeses - contain an excess of salt, milk sugar - lactose, which is difficult to digest by the stomach.
- Spices - rich in essential oils that cause allergies.
It is extremely undesirable for the animal to regale with food from the table, sweet, spicy, salty, flour, fried, seasoned with spices and spices. Food from the refrigerator is prohibited, it must be at room temperature.
What is given to weakened, elderly individuals
With age, the animal’s teeth become weak, it is difficult to chew food. A special, mashed, ground food is needed. Suitable chopped nuts, crushed peas, crumbs of rye bread, hercules, baby food, cereals, mashed potatoes without seasoning. It is impossible to refuse the grain component - cereals contribute to the activation, normal activity of the digestive organs. You can offer a grated fruit mixture, add medicine, vitamins to the trough with the prepared product. Human preparations should not be given - their dosage and composition are fatal.
Pet menu needs to be diversified. You can not constantly feed the same foods. Mono-diets are not allowed. It is good if the diet contains dry, juicy, protein feed daily.
It is useful to water sick, elderly pets with chamomile broth. If the animal is weak, refuses to eat, the food is ground to a pasty consistency, fed and watered warm from a syringe without a needle.
Eating a small mammal at home is completely up to you. With apartment maintenance, the pet needs a reasonably composed menu, including vital components. Try to make a crumb menu that includes a lot of fresh, healthy vegetables.
Treat your pet right, at the same time, without relying on his choice. Poisonous plants laid in the feeder, the baby will eat without a doubt, he is illegible, omnivorous. He will enjoy high-calorie foods to his taste. With pleasure, the pet will eat sweets. Remember: in nature, rodents do not receive such food, which means there is no benefit in it.
The bowl is selected in accordance with the nutritional needs of the animal; it should be small, not overfeeding, made of ceramic. This will not allow her to gnaw, choke on parts of the dishes.
Disputes are ongoing over the need for various products. It is, for example, beets and radishes. If you have doubts about the usefulness, potential risk, fears for the existence of a pet, it is better to refuse, not to conduct experiments. There are many more useful, useful products.
If the animal was bought by children, adults should immediately explain to the kids the rules of maintenance, proper feeding of the pet. Play with the animal, keep in constant contact. Then the life of your tiny funny friend will be joyful, happy, long.
Product table: what can Dzungarian hamsters do and what cannot
Eating at home for a hamster should remain natural. But with natural food should be careful. To understand the features of the diet of a hamster dzhungarika help the table below.
|Allowed and recommended||With caution and in micro doses||Prohibited|
|Cereals and cereals||Corn, oats, wheat, rye, barley||Buckwheat, rice, lentils||Beans (peas, beans, etc.), pasta, bakery products|
|Nuts and seeds||Peanuts, Walnuts, Cashews, Hazelnuts Sesame, Flaxseed, Sunflower, Pumpkin||Brazilian, cedar, almond Acorns, chestnuts Pits (apricot, cherry, etc.)|
|Vegetables||Eggplant, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, sweet peppers, radishes, turnips, beets (not sugar), Jerusalem artichoke, pumpkin||Cucumber, tomato, radish, celery, asparagus, cauliflower||Cabbage, Potato, Onion, Garlic|
|Fruits and dried fruits||Banana, pear, apple (not sour)||Apricot, Nectarine, Peach, Plum, Cherry; Fig, Dates||Persimmon, citrus fruits (orange, grapefruit, lemon, etc.), exotic fruits (avocado, pineapple, kiwi, mango, etc.)|
|Berries||Barberry, hawthorn, lingonberry, cherry (pitted), raspberries, sea buckthorn, mountain ash, currants, rosehips||Grapes, strawberries, strawberries||Watermelon, Melon, Elderberry, Honeysuckle|
|Greens and herbs||Vegetable tops (carrot, beetroot), salad of all kinds (iceberg, root, etc.) Clover, nettle, dandelion, plantain Branches and foliage of fruit trees and shrubs (apricot, cherry, apple tree, etc.), other deciduous (birch, alder, mountain ash, etc.)||Basil, coriander, parsley, celery, dill||Sorrel Branches of coniferous trees and shrubs|
|Protein food||Fat-free white yogurt, cottage cheese (fat content 1%) Boiled lean meat (beef, turkey, rabbit, chicken (breast), boiled egg (chicken or quail)||Boiled shrimps, boiled white fish||Milk, cheese Sausage, sausages, raw fish or meat Mushrooms|
Of course, it is not possible to list all allowed, allowable, and prohibited products within a table. But these products that you can feed the dzhungarik hamster at home are more than enough to ensure the variety and nutrition of the pet.
Prohibited foods can be fatal or not to be fed.
The ban on certain products is sometimes puzzling - why can’t they be eaten by Dzungarian hamsters? But if the reason for the restriction is not clear, this does not mean that it does not exist. The prohibition principle is simple - many products can kill a beast. For example, consider some prohibited products.
A tiny animal is extremely sensitive even to microdoses of hazardous substances. Components such as hydrocyanic acid in almonds, nitrates in watermelon, etc., will poison fluffy.
Like all astringent fruits, it is forbidden to give a persimmon to a hamster because of their provocation of constipation, which is very dangerous for the baby. Spices, on the contrary, have a laxative effect, so seasoned human food to the hamster is contraindicated. The formation of gas in the intestines kills the hamster in a few hours, causing a ban on bread and beans.
The liver of the animal will not withstand a lot of fat, therefore seeds should be given to it in a limited amount. And foods like avocados are completely banned (not to mention fried human food).
The ban on pasta is caused by their hardness and size. The product itself is safe, but by stuffing them on the cheek, the hamster will damage the pouch, which will require serious treatment. The reason for banning citrus and other allergens is understandable - the hamster is not protected from an allergic reaction.
It is not worth going beyond the scope of permitted products when compiling a menu, unless, of course, the owner cherishes the life of his pet.
Rules for feeding permitted products
Hamsters need a varied diet. Do not give the same thing daily. The only exception is dry food. Ideal daily nutrition includes three components: dry, juicy and protein.
Vegetables, fruits, and other large foods should be chopped. The optimal piece size is 1 cm. The frequency with which you can give Djungar hamsters supplements to dry food:
- vegetables - white and green (zucchini, cucumber, turnip, etc.) - daily, colored (carrots, pumpkin, etc.) - twice a week,
- herbs, greens - every other day,
- proteins (meat, egg) - once a week,
- fruits, berries, dried fruits - once every 2 weeks (maximum once a week),
- nuts and seeds (outside of dry food) - rarely, on special occasions.
It is possible to give hamsters to jungars only fresh, high-quality food. Spoiled products should be excluded. Of the acceptable fruits and vegetables, it is better to choose seasonal. All components of succulent feed are thoroughly washed. Fruits for which this is possible are peeled (apples, etc.).
Dry food selection
Self-made grain mixtures should prefer ready-made industrial food produced under the brands specializing in food for rodents. Their composition includes the amount of nutrients, mineral and vitamin supplements necessary to maintain a hamster's health. In addition to the traditional components of dry food, some immediately include dried vegetables, dried fruits and other elements of a balanced diet.
For your pet you need to purchase high-quality food produced by trusted companies. Whenever possible, cheap feed related to economy class products should be avoided. It is best to buy food intended specifically for Dzhungar hamsters, as mixtures for other varieties may contain prohibited components that must be selected manually beforehand.
Dry food occupies 80-90% of the daily diet of a hamster. At the same time, the daily norm of forage for fluffy is one tablespoon. With all the voracity of the rodent, its proper full feeding does not require large expenditures.