Bike is becoming more and more popular nowadays. This is due either to paid parking and the high cost of gasoline, or to a healthy lifestyle that is currently fashionable.
But almost everyone loves to ride a bicycle, but not everyone knows how to properly care for him. Naturally, over time, parts fail and should be replaced with new ones or serviced.
In this article, we will talk about bicycle sprockets and how you can disassemble and care for them.
Why change bike sprockets?
An asterisk on a bicycle has one of the main roles that affect ride quality and speed. During the use of a two-wheeled vehicle, all its components are under load.
Replacing the stars is necessary for proper operation and speed switching. If you do not repair the parts immediately after the damage, there is such an option that the broken parts will accumulate and the repair will be quite expensive, in some situations it exceeds the cost of the bike itself.
Bike sprocket design
The mechanism externally has several stars of different sizes, which are fixed with a sleeve. After that, everything is connected with a lock nut.
- An ordinary option - the star is interconnected by a spacer made of plastic,
- Spider cassette - cassettes made in the form of stars fixed on an aluminum frame,
- On several spiders - devices that are of high cost and are usually installed on professional and expensive models. Appearance has 2 spiders that are connected by sets of stars,
- X-Dome is a monolithic system that connects the drum with the lid on the opposite side,
How to remove sprockets from the rear wheel of a bicycle?
It is absolutely not difficult to disassemble the device for replacement, but you should be careful and have a couple of free hours in stock.
In some situations, the initial parser spends 15 minutes, and the other person without the necessary skills can cope in 1-2 hours.
That is why it is difficult to answer the question of what time can be spent on a laborious process. Most stars all have the same parsing method, since they have almost the same structure.
Helpful parsing tips:
- How is the removal of parts in this order and should be installed. This advice will help from the confusion and the cost of extra time that can go into the memory of where a particular part came from,
- After analysis, every part needs to be inspected, maybe it does not require replacement, but simple cleaning is simply necessary.
In order to remove the stars from the bike, you must:
- Puller suitable for splined vane and retaining rings,
- Whip - a metal key, consisting of 10-20 links,
- Adjustable wrench.
In addition to these tools, you need to have a key extension, which can crawl through parts with difficult access. You can buy a whip in a store or make it yourself from a metal chain.
Step-by-step instructions for parsing:
- The bike is mounted with the wheels up and is in a stable position. The bicycle should stand on a flat surface and not carry out additional movements that could adversely affect the removal of parts,
- We remove the wheel located at the back, this can be done using a key of the appropriate size. The chain for parsing the star is removed in order not to interfere,
- With a whip we fix the cassette in one place, unwind the cassette itself using a puller worn on a nut,
- After that, remove the plastic ring, which serves as a kind of protection and establish a further front of work (directly install a new one or try to clean and lubricate the parts).
Why is this needed?
The most common problem is chain wear. If it is not replaced on time, then it will begin to bore the stars. Everyone has their own favorite program, which is most often used. Over time, the chain on it will begin to scroll if a large load is applied. Therefore, we must learn to remove stars from the rear wheel of a bicycle. As soon as such a skill is acquired, you can fix any damage yourself. And this will save a lot of money on maintenance in the workshop.
Why is this necessary? You can remove the sprockets from the rear wheel of the bicycle for both conventional lubrication and their complete replacement. They will also interfere if it is necessary to replace the knitting needles on the right side or to get to the sleeve itself.
The difference between a rattle and a cartridge
Before you remove the stars from the rear wheel of a bicycle, you need to decide on their design. It is important to distinguish between a rattle and a cassette. Outwardly, although they are similar, they are very different inside.
In the ratchet, the freewheel is installed with the sprockets. This is such a monolithic system that simply bolts to the sleeve. The cassette can be disassembled, so you can replace one worn star. Unlike the ratchet, it is not a monolith together with the free-wheeling mechanism, but is put on it.
To remove them, you will need different pullers. It is important not to confuse them with each other, because they are not interchangeable. They have different slots. If you are still afraid not to distinguish a rattle from a cassette, the photo will be an excellent clue in this matter.
What is the difference between a rattle and a cartridge
Ratchet is a ratchet mechanism with a threaded or spline mount to the sleeve. The ratchet is located outside, and the sprockets are installed in their entirety. This means that the ratchet is set “at once” - if, say, small stars are worn out, it will not be possible to replace only the worn out part - everything changes immediately.
This type of unit was widespread in the last century, and now it can be found on a budget high-speed bike. A number of disadvantages of the ratchet include such things:
- a small number of stars - from 5 to 7 speeds,
- low running resource
- for more hardy products, the cost will be many times more.
Although, of course, repair, or rather, non-repairability, is the main drawback. Most ratchets have a threaded mount. An unpleasant feature of this mount is jamming. It looks like this: after a certain run, it will spin on the sleeve so that it will then be difficult to disassemble it.
Now about the tapes. In fact, this is the same ratchet, only the ratchet is hidden inside the drum. It is installed only on the slots, which is why it is sometimes problematic to switch from a ratchet (if that rare spline specimen was not standing). Compared to its “brothers”, the cassette drum mechanism has several advantages:
- more stars - from 9 to 11 on modern models,
- the system weighs less, which means the bike as a whole, too,
- rolling resistance is noticeably less than that of a ratchet,
- the cassette is easier to remove
- more mileage
- You can change the stars individually.
The last plus, of course, is the most significant, and we emphasize it again: changing the system completely or just one or two stars is a huge difference! Well, there is only one drawback - the original cost is higher. However, this again negates the very advantage - the ability to repair, rather than buy a new one. Should I opt for a cassette? Definitely yes!
What types of cassettes are divided
It is very interesting to know how the stars are fastened on the drum and among themselves. A modern bicycle cassette is available in several versions. Each of them is good in its own way. Get acquainted:
Spacer cassettes are sprockets fastened by individual slots with a drum. To separate between them, plastic dividers are inserted - spacers. Parts have a strictly specified thickness so that the distances in the cassette between its elements are kept constant. The advantage of such a system is that they can be disassembled “to zero”. The disadvantage, however, for aluminum drums is the high torsional load, because from each star the force is transferred to the drum. On stronger steel counterparts, such a problem is not observed.
In a spider-type compound, all stars are worn on a single slot. The paws are made in the form of ladders for each sprocket. Power loads are reduced, so this type of cartridge is worth choosing for aluminum drums. Also, compared to spacer systems, these systems are lighter.
On whole-milled cassettes, the entire block is made as one part. It is fixed on the lower star, which is the slot for the drum. Among analogues, this is the most expensive option:
- the simplest device due to the lack of additional connections,
- high strength
What about the flaws? Firstly, the price justifies itself only with an expensive mountain bike. And secondly, the design is very much like a rattle. And although durability and strength have been declared, no one has canceled partial wear. And changing one or two stars is impossible.
The block model is represented by several spiders with two to three stars on each. Small stars are inserted into the slot of the drum independently. Since their wear is more likely when using a bicycle, they can generally be changed individually. Other components on the blocks change immediately in pairs.
We shoot with and without a tool
It is not difficult to remove the cassette from the bicycle if you use special tools - a 12-hook puller, a wrench and a whip. The puller is a small key with a spline connection for the drum.
Disassembly looks like this:
1. The key is inserted inside the cartridge, as shown in the picture. It must be ensured that the splines are tightly engaged.
2. We select a wrench, put a whip on a chain.
3. Holding the largest star with the whip, pull the puller nut counterclockwise.
4. To loosen the slot in the rear cassette, a lot of effort will be required, and exactly the same when tightening the bolt. We shoot carefully, holding the system at the upper (small star) and lower (large star) ends.
5. After the system is removed, proceed to inspection of the stars. With a block system where small components are installed separately, carefully remove them from the drum with washers.
6. The cassette can also be removed without a whip: for this we take an open chain, throw it on a large star and fix it on something fixed, for example, on the fence rods. When removing, pull the wheel to the side and simultaneously untwist the puller nut.
Is it possible to pull out a cartridge without using a removable tool? In principle, yes, but here you will need a hollow spline tube and a spanner of the appropriate size. Still, buying a regular puller is easier.
Installing a cassette looks exactly the opposite of removing it:
- Attach housing to ratchet bush.
- Carefully fasten the stars onto the slot (for block models).
- It is important to properly fasten the rings - they are tightly fixed on two adjacent stars with the help of small columns. Each of them must fall into the corresponding hole in the stars for a snug fit.
- When all the components are put on, gently, with a gradual increase in effort, we tighten the cartridge on the sleeve. It is better to pull the puller nut down all the time, tossing the key. The recommended force range is 21.7 - 36.2 Nm.
We clean and grease the cartridge
Timely maintenance includes not only the repair of the unit and the replacement of worn parts, but also the maintenance of cleanliness. In operation, the mechanisms sometimes wear out not so much from the applied loads, but from careless maintenance - dirt adhering to the grease spoils the system and quickly grinds the teeth. Before servicing the cartridge, it is necessary to remove it - the analysis and its correct sequence are higher.
Cleaning the stars on a bicycle is done with a special flat brush:
Long and hard fibers are able to climb to the very axis and clean the dirt from the most problematic places.
If you plan to partially replace, and at the same time clean the cassette, you can use an ordinary shoe brush, because cleaning the stars individually is much easier than assembling. Previously, a little mild detergent can be applied to the brush - trial or dishwashing liquid. After all the dirt has been washed off, wipe the surface of the stars with a soft cloth to dryness.
The next step is lubricating the sprockets. At the same time, it is worthwhile to clean the chain, otherwise the procedure will not make sense - the dirt will again settle from the chain on the teeth. For lubrication, it is recommended to use special dust-repellent compounds. Processing is done along the entire height of the teeth and in the spaces between them. Do not overdo it with grease, a thin layer is enough.
Ratchet removal (for bushings with screwed ratchet)
On such bushings, the cartridge is removed together with a ratchet, therefore, when adjusting the bearings or replacing the spokes, it is not necessary to disassemble the cartridge. This should only be done to replace the sprockets themselves.
To replace the spokes on the right side of the rear wheel or to replace the grease in the bearing, the cartridge can be removed with a ratchet without touching the hub axle.
The inner surface of such a ratchet has slots into which a corresponding puller must be inserted.
The sprocket block rotates here on the ratchet case. The housing itself is screwed onto the sleeve and the puller is inserted into the housing.
We insert the puller into the slots on the ratchet, and unscrew it with an adjustable or open-end wrench.
When turning away, you may have to apply considerable force. We recommend using a gas key or a key with a 24-inch long handle. The thread at the ratchet is left, it is unscrewed clockwise (against the ratchet free travel).
Then remove the cassette along with a ratchet and a protective plastic ring.
If you are going to replace the wheel, leaving the old ratchet, then buy a wheel with a hub just under the ratchet. With such a sleeve, you will see only an axis without a sleeve drum.
It is necessary to remove the cartridge, firstly, to adjust the bearings of the rear sleeve (in principle, you can not remove it, but it is more convenient to adjust the sleeve with the removed cartridge), or to replace the sprockets themselves. If on a trip you have to replace the rear wheel spoke on the right side, then the cartridge will also need to be removed.
The cassette is pulled to the ratchet by a slotted nut. In order to unscrew this nut, you need a special tool - a cartridge puller. And in order to hold the cartridge (it is necessary to unscrew the cartridge in the direction of free rotation of the rear wheel - counterclockwise), it is necessary whip.
The cassette sprockets are mounted on the ratchet housing and pulled together with a wide, special-shaped nut. A sleeve with a built-in ratchet mechanism is used. There are plastic washers between the sprockets.
When disassembling the cassette, one must take into account that not only the order of the stars is important, but also their orientation relative to each other. Washers can also vary in diameter and thickness, so it makes sense to carefully lay out all the removed parts in a row.
To unscrew the nut, a special slotted wrench is required, and to keep the cassette from turning, you need a whip, because the direction of rotation of the nut when unscrewing coincides with the direction of free rotation of the ratchet.
We put the whip chain on the largest cassette sprocket.
Unscrew the nut with the key while holding the cartridge with a whip.
If you do not have a whip, then you can use the old chain instead, securing it in some way so that it holds the spider. You can also use an old rag thicker and larger. Fold in several layers and throw on the spider, holding it with your hands. The spider is held with the whole palm through a rag and spins with a wrench.
Remove the nut. Then we remove all the sprockets and washers from the ratchet case, observing their order. If necessary, remove the sleeve drum from the axis.
Cassettes and ratchets Shimano
It is necessary to remove the cassette, firstly, to adjust the bearings of the rear hub or to replace the sprockets themselves. If on a trip you have to replace the rear wheel spoke on the right side, then the cartridge will also need to be removed.
In fact, there are no fundamental differences from the method described above.
Extreme mountain bike
The peculiarity is only in the puller used: it must have an axis that is inserted into the cartridge.
The only difference is that several small stars can be worn on the ratchet independently, and between them there should be washers - gaskets. These sprockets and washers must be carefully removed so that they do not crumble during disassembly. It is better to remove them one at a time, and carefully lay them out somewhere, so as not to confuse during assembly.
This applies to the eight-star Shimano HG-30 / HG-40 / HG-50-8 cassettes.
Shimano tape removed:
Change the stars on the rear wheel of the bike
Velomania.ru forum> Technology> Technical questions> How to remove a cassette without using special accessories?
View Full Version: How to remove a cassette without using special accessories?
PPC ... I bought an all-cassette, a chain, switches, well, I think I’ll put it now, I began to learn how to remove a cassette, everywhere I need to use all kinds of specials. accessories, I can’t buy them, because there is no money left, is it possible to withdraw it with improvised means.
not allowed. there must be at least a shot
Cut with grinder ^ ___ ^
grinder tries ... or a sledgehammer: susel :)))
without a puller in any way ...
млин…вот я попал… может кто одолжит? сегодня заеду заберу, на след неделе отдам?
Там вроде хомут и съемник должен быть (не знаю , как он точно называеться )
Попроси в мастерской за символическую сумму , может сжаляться ..)).одолжи у друзей
тебе легче подъехать к кому-нибудь с колесом и новой кассетой, 3мин. всё готово. м.Молодёжная вечер,)
Ну, если не ломает с Академической в Реутово ехать — приезжай, привози колесо и кассету новую. Инструмент есть. 🙂
эх…отдал в кант.. 250 руб…
эх…отдал в кант.. 250 руб…
круто, потолок 100 руб.
В Канте сервис что-то негуманно стоить стал. И лыжебордический, и судя по всему, велосипедный.
Как то первый раз, когда меня приспчило кассету сменить, я то-же не умел. Приехал в Соколя с колесом. При покупке кассеты — замена бесплатно. Spied. The puller bought, but instead of a tricky key with a chain, he used the old chain. Type to hold. And that’s it. Now I don’t depend on any huckster.
yeah, as the mechanic in the workshop on Petrovsko-Razumovskaya says (also uses a chain wound around the toe of the boot instead of a chain key 🙂)
"there is nothing impossible for a person who / b * t / weighs 130 kilograms!" (with)
you can still remove it without special equipment with straight arms, but it is fraught 🙂
Clamp with an old chain, unscrew in quotation marks with a hammer and a chisel.
I don’t do it myself, of course, but you can 😀
Clamp with an old chain, unscrew in quotation marks with a hammer and a chisel. I don’t do it myself, of course, but you can
What hammer and chisel? The puller is inserted and, in order to hold the cassette, you need an old chain. Unscrews and that's it!
What hammer and chisel? The puller is inserted and, in order to hold the cassette, you need an old chain. Unscrews and that's it!
without a puller! 🙂
cool, the ceiling is 100 rubles.
eh .. how much the puller costs without too much fun ...
In theory, everything is solvable. but a little hard. 🙂
wrap the chain around the rim with a rag, throw it on the cassette to stop it. take a screwdriver + hammer = universal puller. and for a long, tedious, gently tapping, you turn out the lock nut. if you first pour kerosene or wd-40 on it, things will go faster.
So it’s impossible - here the comrades hurried up, or were quite lazy, saw enough of the enemy of propaganda such as how to disassemble a bicycle, where each puller has its own puller with a warning that the operation is terribly complicated and do not repeat at home, give it to the workshop.
Without a puller, you can. If the old and rusty - there is an option to break and crush the nut, so the puller does not fit .. but here you need a head.
here is a quite high-quality puller for 200r. http://www.veloprobeg.ru/product_info.php?products_> For a hundred I think you can quite buy an analogue was simpler.
By the way off topic. I had a stealth. And it was necessary to remove the connecting rods. It seems that he was registered on the frume. But he did not ask. I removed the rods under the square with a sledgehammer! Happened. Only later I learned that it is easy to remove the connecting rods with a puller!
The best thing is to buy a tool and learn how to change it yourself ... you will have enough for a lifetime and save money in the future
Well, yes, you need to have your own tool and, in general, it’s better to do all the work on the bike yourself - a lot of time and money are saved, unless I would take up a needle. As for the cassette, the puller should be bought only 100-150r, and instead of the whip, as the old chain that I wrap around the battery has already been said, it keeps tight, freeing both hands to loosen the nut. There is one more trick here: on some cartridges the puller goes shallow and when a considerable effort is applied it jumps off, often crushing the slots at its ends, I have some cheap mild steel and for the second time I had to grind it with a file, somewhere for a couple mm But then the idea came to pull an eccentric to the wheel (without springs) and since then there have been no problems, the main lever is more useful, like a gas key 😉
A rattle for a bicycle is a mechanism that transmits torque from the front sprockets to the rear wheel. Due to this mechanism, movement also occurs. It consists of their ratchet and stars.
Due to this special mechanism, the bike continues to move at the moment when you go down the mountain or go coasting without pedaling. This is very convenient, agree? It would be hard to pedal constantly, even when there is no particular need for it. For this, a ratchet was placed inside the block of the rear sprockets.
Remember, the sooner you pay attention to some problems with your bike, the more likely it is that a minimum of repair is required!
How to remove rear sprockets from a bicycle
Traditionally, a ratchet is screwed onto the rear hub of the bicycle. But in newer models, the ratchet is part of the hub initially. The collection and analysis of this mechanism is not only complicated, but also not entirely simple. Installation generally goes without any "troubles." Simply scroll a little pedal and the ratchet will fall into place.
But with the removal will have to tinker a bit. Stock up on a special tool called a slotted puller. The ratchet groove models depend on the ratchet model itself. Very old models are equipped with a simplified notch and two or four faces. But, unfortunately, such systems are not durable and often break, unable to withstand even the season. And during the replacement process, there is a chance to easily break both the ratchet itself and the tool that you will use. The most common of them is the breakdown of “dogs” or springs. In order to eliminate the breakdown, it is necessary to disassemble the ratchet.
If the springs are faulty, they must be replaced with new ones. Old springs can be removed with ordinary pliers. Oddly enough, it’s better not to try to repair the broken dog, but to replace it with a new one. This attribute is made of durable steel with the help of the skilled hands of locksmiths and their machines. First, the heel rod is made, and only then the dog is sawn along the contour of the cavity. The angle of the so-called tooth of the dog should be made a little sharper than the angle of the ratchet itself. Well, then follows the process of hardening of steel and the release of these spare parts to the masses.
The ratchet does not cling to the dog usually in two cases:
- The sting of a dog’s tooth
- Highly grease is used. Because of this, the spring does not push the dog from the bottom of the cavity.
My VK https://vk.com/id263241899
The size of the balls in the ratchet is 3.2mm
Useful videos from my channel about bicycle repair.
1) Rear wheel hub service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPosWduKeQ
2) Front wheel hub service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1Eiu-0VQ4
3) How to fix, align the figure of eight on a bicycle wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLX9zlg-hw
4) Brakes v brake setting, how to adjust and install on a bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjIyswdeKs
5) Solidol and lithol 24 can be lubricated by bicycle or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHLT-emvXng
6) KT-305 how the sleeve with the foot brake works, maintenance, mechanism arrangement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPA-kUBDcc
7) Backlash and a tent, the back wheel or front wheel is untwisted, how to eliminate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MGTZxuNr_s
8) Replacing and adjusting the rear flip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSf3KCkxLXc
9) Setting up the front bike throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvnDcujDRg
10) How to make a bicycle fork softer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhNAGnITNbs
11) Sr suntour XCT plug restoration and repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkmw57stZo
12) Repair a simple bike spring fork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDIhFqT478k
13) Replacing the carriage on a bicycle, how to remove the connecting rods, how to remove the carriage, how to disassemble the carriage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUHX5yEjlgg
14) Bike rear star rattle, how to disassemble a rattle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSXTTea5M8
15) Chain length, how to determine the chain length, remove and pull the chain on the bicycle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O43SJx_SyU
16) How to disconnect, rivet, bicycle chain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOJQMli3zY
17) How to use a squeeze for a bicycle chain, a secret. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myRb_vhrVZQ
18) How and by what painting a bicycle frame from aluminum or stainless steel at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2JfecGOtc
19) Replacing the front bike fork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FZYG-MoUY
20) Creak, crunching and knocking on the pedals and the carriage of the bicycle, how to eliminate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7Y2LfZCCc
21) How to disassemble and assemble the carriage on a bicycle, replacing bearings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5kpzDlSNHo
22) Repair, disassemble the pedals of the bike.
How to replace an asterisk on a bicycle?
Replacing the sprocket should begin with the removal of the old, respectively, only then start the installation. If the old part is installed, it should be cleaned and greased, only then installed.
In the case of the new one you need:
- We put on a protective plastic ring,
- If the stars themselves are not bonded to each other, then wear them one at a time, starting with a large one and ending with a small one. Between the stars we install small rubber pads,
- Screw the nut, this must be done directly using a wrench. Twisting is done by the clock hands,
- We fix the nut and check the movement of the nut.
Bicycle Sprocket Care
It is not necessary to mention that all mechanisms require maintenance, otherwise they will quickly fail. If the transmission is cleaned of dirt as it becomes dirty, this will significantly extend the life of the part.
You can clean the bicycle structure by the following principle:
- Release brake and remove rear wheel
- Inspect the inner cassette for dirt. If the pollution is strong, then without removal it will not be possible to clean, in the case when the dirt is minimal, then you can clean it directly on a bicycle,
- For cleaning brushes with coarse bristles should be used, but they should be small in order to get into hard-to-reach places. An old toothbrush that is not intended to be used as intended is suitable for such cleaning.
- Initially, the rag should be dipped in kerosene and only after that start removing dirt from the sprocket,
- After cleaning, apply grease to the brush and wipe the teeth. Next install back.
In order not to change the stars, you should constantly carry out proper care and diagnosis. Spending several minutes of your time once a month to lubricate the stars, you can protect yourself not only from large expenses, but also from wasting extra time.
Therefore, it is much easier to care for in a timely manner than to repair your bike, especially if you use it often enough.
If the breakdown still happened, you should not be upset, but make every effort to fix it yourself.
How to remove sprockets from the rear wheel of a bicycle without a puller?
For such an operation, you do not need to purchase a special tool. True, it is much easier to deal with. In order to remove the ratchet without a puller, you will need:
The ratchet has 2 recesses. There you need to insert a punch and hit it with a hammer. You need to clockwise. Instead, you can use a large nail. One must be careful, as there are bearings under this place. With a little effort, you can unscrew the sprockets.
There still remained the inside of the ratchet. It is removed using a gas key, which is twisted counterclockwise.