It happens that on your favorite thing there is a small hole, scuff or hook. Or bored old jeans and do not know what to do with them.
Then appliqués on clothes come to the rescue. Their variety is so great that it will satisfy everyone’s taste preferences.
In order not to wear things in the studio, we will tell you in detail how to stick the application neatly and beautifully, as if it were there.
Features of thermal stickers and their varieties
Choose the decal for clothes should be according to the parameters:
- Material. The basis of the sticker is a dense flock fabric. The pattern is fabric or embroidery.
- Design. Decals are found for children, lace, with rhinestones, sports, with the logo of famous brands.
- The size. Stickers come in different sizes: small (1 cm wide) and large (up to 25 cm wide and larger).
In addition to classic stickers, you can use thermal film. A special ink is applied to it. With the help of high temperature it is transferred to the fabric. Film stickers hold on for a long time.
Thermal stickers on clothes are used by parents to make things unique for children.
Depending on the adhesive used, embroideries can be permanent or temporary. Permanent cannot be removed from a thing without damaging it.
The sticker is purchased at a fabric or hardware store.
How to glue the application
To work with the sticker, you need to prepare an iron, applique, item, clean cotton fabric.
- Clothing is placed on a flat, clean surface. It is better to use an ironing board. Lay the decal on the chosen place.
- The sticker is covered with a cotton cloth.
- Turn on the iron at maximum power.
- Pressing on the iron, iron the surface of the embroidery, paying particular attention to the edges.
If thermal sticker was used to mask a hole, then a layer of adhesive non-woven should be laid from the inside to enhance fixation. The cotton fabric should be clean and plain.
When using applications based on thermal film, you must:
- Prepare a place to work. You will need a flat surface, clothing, iron and a clean cloth or thermal film.
- Heat the area of the product on which the sticker is to be applied with a hot iron.
- Put a sticker.
- Cover application with cloth or paper.
- Put a hot iron on the embroidery for 5-7 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, carefully remove the protective material.
- Check how well the thermal sticker is hooked on the fabric, pay special attention to the corners. If the film leaves in some places, then go over again with an iron.
Fabric based applique
Traditionally, fabric appliqués are sewn onto clothes manually or on a sewing machine. A picture is selected, all elements are cut out and pricked with sewing pins on the fabric.
It is important that the pattern is fully consistent with the finished product. Mismatch will lead to a mismatch of the individual parts. A seam is placed around the edge of each part. The larger and more contrast the threads, the brighter the pattern will look.
To impart rigidity to the bottom, you can lay glue non-woven and go through the protective material with a hot iron.
The fabric applique is traditionally sewn onto clothes manually
The decor element is sewn to things. If you need to stick a picture, then use a special glue for the fabric.
How to make thermal sticker yourself
To have an original applique, you should do it yourself at home. You will need a drawing, doubler and an iron.
The scheme of work is as follows:
- Cut your favorite image from the flock or other dense material.
- Parts of the picture are pre-stitched together.
- The finished application is placed on doubler and sewn along the edges. When shedding of fabric at the edges is treated with an overlock or a decorative seam.
- Put the sticker on the thing.
- Using a protective iron, iron the sticker with a hot iron.
- Inspect the drawing for defects.
Homemade thermal sticker differs in durability from professional. The service life will be up to 5 washes, then you will need to update the adhesive layer. To avoid this, decal can be additionally sewn onto clothes.
To create a thermal sticker, an ordinary package with the desired pattern is suitable. The application procedure is simple, but this method is short-lived. The sticker will disappear after a few washings. How to remove glue from stickers from clothes and thermal sticker itself quickly.
The way to create applications from the package:
- Cut the picture, put it on the thing.
- Cover with protective paper. Iron the entire application for 30 seconds with an iron.
- Carefully remove the upper material, being careful not to damage the pattern.
- If the packet leaves at the edges, then repeat the procedure.
To create original stickers use 2 types of printers:
- for printing on thermal film,
- for printing on fabric.
Thermal transfer can be ordered from professionals or made by yourself. For homework, you will need an HP color inkjet printer and special thermal sticker paper.
To create a thermal sticker, an ordinary package with the desired pattern is suitable
Printing stickers at home allows you to create original jewelry for clothes, add any inscriptions. A graphic program is used to create a drawing.
Before sending to print, you should mirror the image so that when applied to clothes, the image is displayed correctly.
Create a fabric sticker
To create a sticker, you need a printer with a print on the fabric and a spider line with glue. If there is no such printer, then you can contact the printing house.
To get a sticker on the fabric, you must perform the following steps:
- Print a sticker.
- Carefully cut along the contour.
- Put on clothing with a glue web.
- Heat the sticker area with an iron through a protective material.
It is better to stick fabric applique on clothes made of cotton fabric. This will prevent stretching the picture, increase the service life.
Application on a Bologna jacket
It is more difficult to apply a decal on a Bologna jacket than on a T-shirt. Bologna is a synthetic material, and will melt under the influence of high temperatures.
It is more difficult to apply a decal on a Bologna jacket
Outerwear contains insulation, which makes it difficult to glue applications.
Rules for applying thermal stickers on jackets and pants:
- Dry the jacket thoroughly.
- If there is a hole, sew it up first.
- Make the surface even, if the application is applied to the sleeve, then insert a rolled towel into it.
- Attach a sticker.
- Close the sticker with a cotton cloth.
- Press the sticker for 5 seconds with a heated iron without steam. The soleplate should be on protective fabric.
- For reliability, you can fix the sticker with threads, sewing over the edge.
Fixing baby stuff with thermal stickers
Thermal stickers allow you to practically hide holes and spots on children's clothes. Previously, the hole should be patched. If it is not possible to sew, then the fabric must be glued on both sides.
Thermal stickers allow you to practically hide holes and spots on children's clothes
On a multilayer thing, only the layer where the hole was formed will have to be glued. The adhesive fabric and sticker should be 1 cm larger in diameter than the gap.
How to fix a thing:
- To apply non-woven fabric from the wrong side with a working layer to clothes.
- Put clothes evenly without bends.
- Top with a hot iron without steam (over cotton),
- Put thermal sticker on the front side.
- For 5 seconds with a hot iron, pressing on the application, iron the fabric.
- After the sticker has cooled, check how firmly it is adhered.
To give individuality to things, you can additionally stick stickers on pockets and sleeves. Stickers allow you to make an individual thing, hide small defects.
Thermal film with the parent's phone number inside the outer clothing will allow police officers to quickly contact adults if the child is lost.
Fabric preparation and applications
To make the process pleasant and quick, you must first pay attention to the following points:
- Determine the type of application. If it has an adhesive side, but no additional materials are required. If such a side is absent, then it can be attached with adhesive tape. There are special decals to hide the torn parts of the fabric. Such patches on the back with a protective layer that is removed before adhesive.
- Determine the type of fabric on which we will glue. You must read the tag and see all the icons. If the crossed-out iron is drawn on the label, then application cannot be glued to such a thing. It is best to complement the apparel with cotton or jeans.
- Plan the placement of the applique. It is logical that if you close a flaw on clothes, then the place is predetermined by itself. But if you decide to change the design and update the thing, then mark in which place to place the decoration.
Glue the applique
This process is not complicated, but very scrupulous and consists in the following operations:
- place the item on a flat surface, iron the fabric to prevent wrinkles under the sticker,
- attach the application to the place where it will be finally located. If you use decal, then glue side down. If you use a carbon paper, then you need to arrange it with a pattern to the fabric,
- heat the iron to the temperature that the fabric allows as much as possible. There should be no water in it, and the steam function is turned off,
- gently lay a small, thin towel on top of the applique,
- strictly above the place where the sticker is located, lower the iron, push it with all the force and hold it in this position for 15 seconds,
- lift the iron and remove the towel. See if the applique is evenly glued, whether all edges are glued. If there are fragile places, lay a towel and press the iron back against the fabric.
Remember that if you use a carbon paper, the protective layer is removed after the application has completely cooled down.
As you can see, at home for minimal money you can quickly repair clothes or make them more interesting without the skills of a seamstress.
Types of decals
Before sticking the applique on the fabric, you need to select and purchase it in a specialized store that sells supplies for sewing. There are several fundamentally different types of thermal applications that differ from each other in the basis and material of the design element. The table below lists all existing types of thermal stickers with an indication of their features.
Table - Types of decals
|Flex||- Thermofilm, |
- has a smooth front side
|Phlox||- Thermofilm, |
- has a velvety “face”
|Highly flexible thermal sticker||- Stretches well on fabric, |
- used for silk, guipure, synthetics and other delicate materials
|With effect||- Shiny surface (glitter), |
- with a 3D pattern,
|Reflective||- With a special coating, |
- the “face” of the application glistens when light hits the dark
|Phosphorescent||- Has the ability to accumulate sunlight, |
- glows in the dark
If you intend to stick thermal stickers on clothes, but don’t know what type of product to prefer, answer the simple question: “What exactly do you want to apply?”. The choice of type of sticker depends on the type of fabric on which it will show off in the future.
- Knitwear and thin cotton items. To decorate or "save" these elements of everyday wardrobe, thermal film with a thin base is suitable. It is easy to glue on a cotton base. During operation, the application will sit and stretch along with the product, without a single hint that it is “not native” to him.
- Jeans, bologna jacket, fabric bag. Thin-base thermal films are not suitable for tight clothing. The best option for this case will be applications with a thicker base. For example, thermal stickers from fabric.
- Overalls or clothes of the child. In this case, it is worth giving preference to phosphorescent thermal patches on clothes or appliques with reflective elements. At night, these details will attract the attention of others to their media, which is especially important for road safety.
- Fashionable wardrobe items. If your goal is to decorate your favorite thing, use holographic applications or thermal stickers with a 3D effect. They are suitable for a leatherette skirt, and for synthetics, and for silk.
How to stick thermal sticker on clothes ...
The process of sticking decorative decals is quick and easy. And this is its main advantage. Follow the eight points below to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Choose a location. Gluing is necessary on a solid and even surface. It can be a table or a chest of drawers covered with a cotton bedspread. Better is a traditional ironing board.
- Test Drive . If you decide to take a chance and stick the applique on a synthetic T-shirt with your own hands, be sure to test the fabric. Heat the iron as much as possible and check what temperature the material can withstand. It is advisable to check on an inconspicuous area of clothing, so that in case of a fiasco the t-shirt does not have to be thrown out.
- Turn off the steaming. Before heating the iron, it is necessary to turn off the steaming mode and drain all the water available in the household appliance.
- We form a perfect layout. The place on which the application will be applied must be laid out on the ironing board in such a way that a fold does not form on the location of the adhesive element.
- Apply thermal sticker. We put the applique on the spread out garment so that its “face” looks directly at you.
- Close with paper. Now the “face” of the design element needs to be covered with a sheet of white paper. For the same purpose, you can use confectionery parchment or tracing paper.
- Press the hot iron. We put an iron preheated to a maximum temperature on paper, tracing paper or parchment so that a sticker appears in the center of its heating element. After we press the household appliance and hold it under pressure for about 15 seconds.
- Let the paper cool. After the specified time, remove the iron from the protective layer and leave the latter to cool completely. After five to ten minutes, the paper can be removed, and the process can be considered completed.
If there is no adhesive
Often you can find applications, the reverse side of which in structure is no different from the front. These are decorative elements lacking an adhesive base and require auxiliary materials for adhesion to clothing. Therefore, in addition with the application, it is worth buying an adhesive tape. It is a thin paper, rolled up into a roll, on the reverse side of which rhombuses are applied with glue. To properly stick a sticker on your clothes this way, follow these three simple steps.
- We connect the adhesive tape with the product. To do this, heat the iron to a maximum temperature, apply the adhesive layer to the wrong side of the application and press down the household appliance strongly on the paper side of the tape.After a couple of seconds, the glue applied to the back of the paper will melt and adhere well to the inside of the decorative element. If this does not happen, spray some water from the spray bottle onto the paper and do the same again.
- Tear off the glue paper. After the glue has been successfully applied to the inside of the application, the roll must be torn off along the edge. Thus, the used piece of adhesive tape will be disconnected from the main one.
- Glue to clothes. We put the decorative element with the adhesive layer “face” on it, and the back to the front of the garment. From above we cover the application with a clean sheet of paper and again press it with an iron to a hard, even surface. Keep the iron under pressure for about 20 seconds, remove, let the paper cool, remove the paper layer - and enjoy the result.
To patch a hole
Most often, housewives undertake to transfer thermal stickers to clothes not for the purpose of decorating and decorating them, but with the aim of filling the hole formed after the fall. In this case, glue non-woven should be attached to the process, which will protect the damaged edges from "sprawling".
- Choose a sticker. When choosing a sticker for a patch, it is important to consider the size of the hole. The application and a piece of adhesive non-woven to be used in tandem should be about 1 cm wider than the damaged area.
- We lay the non-woven base. Carefully insert the non-woven flap into the hole cut along the contour of the sticker. Auxiliary material should cover the hole formed from the inside. The glue surface should face you.
- We glue the application. Put a thermal sticker on top of a hole covered from the inside with a non-woven inside. We cover it with a layer of paper or parchment and for 15 seconds we press the paper with a hot iron. After that, we wait until the paper has completely cooled down, and we complete the process by removing the paper layer from the decorative element and making sure that the work is done efficiently.
... and how to eliminate it later
It is very easy to stick decal of leather or fabric. But is it easy to remove it later, when the drawing is bored, cracked or spoiled? The table will tell you how to remove the thermal sticker from a T-shirt, depending on how it is applied and the features of the application.
Table - Ways to remove decal from clothing
|Type of sticker||Liquidation method|
|Adhesive sticker||- Put the clothes on the ironing board, |
- put a paper towel under the sticker,
- we also cover it with a napkin on top,
- iron with a hot iron until the drawing is completely gone on paper
|Adhesive tape application||- We process the application with a hairdryer, |
- we are waiting for the melting of the adhesive base,
- carefully remove the decorative element
|Sewn applique||- Unzip the threads with manicure scissors, |
- carefully remove the seams so as not to damage the clothes
|Thermal printing||- Put a book or other solid object under the T-shirt, |
- Wet the cotton pad copiously with alcohol,
- by sweeping movements, remove the pattern from the surface of the fabric
After you manage to completely remove the thermal sticker from the clothing, a greasy stain may remain at the place where it was displayed before. To eliminate it, it is enough to apply dishwashing detergent to the contaminated area, leave for an hour, and then wash the item, as usual. If after you removed the thermal sticker from the clothes, there is a “trophy” shiny trace on the subject of the wardrobe, use acetone or alcohol to remove it. Dampen a cotton swab in one of the indicated substances, thoroughly blot the stain, leave for five minutes, and then wash in the washing machine.
Do it yourself
If there is no opportunity to buy a sticker, but there is a need for it, you can create a self-adhesive decal. It is not as difficult as it seems at first glance. And besides, it’s very interesting. You can attach a child to the process. The creation of thermal stickers with his own hands will please both him and you.
- plastic bag with a beautiful pattern,
- parchment paper
- stationery scissors,
- Cut out the picture you like from a plastic bag. It is she who will become the basis of the application.
- We attach the cut piece of polyethylene to the place on the clothes where it will subsequently be pasted.
- We cover the polyethylene print with a clean sheet of paper.
- Preheat the iron and press it to the paper coating.
- We hold the household appliance under pressure for up to 30 seconds, remove the iron, let the paper cool completely and check the quality of the work done.
Wardrobe items decorated with appliqués require special care. Observing the simple rules, you can maintain the original appearance of clothing for a long time. Thermal stickers should be washed in water with a maximum temperature of 40 ° C. Before sending a thing to the washing machine, it is recommended to turn it on the wrong side.
It’s not enough to know how to stick applique on clothes. The owner of the decorated item, among other things, must have ironing skills. You can only apply the iron to the wrong side of the fabric, possibly avoiding the place with the sticker side. The use of a hot iron is also not welcome. It is better to give preference to the average temperature of the metal plate.
Reviews: “I take the threads for reliability”
Previously (in Soviet times)), I remember, they glued fabric applications with an iron and a plastic bag - it held perfectly! Recently, I sealed a hole for a child on a new jacket with inexpensive thermal decals - it worked well, then the washing and the edges moved away. I had to sew them. So now for reliability I would immediately grab the applique with threads.
I know that on sale you can find a special powder hot melt adhesive for fabric and leather. There are also so-called stripes, i.e. an applique made of fabric, which is sewn to clothes with a sewing machine. If the hole is very small, you can decorate this part of the clothing with rhinestones.
I sewed expensive curtains (the fabric costs about 30 thousand rubles) and jammed in one place. The bottom line is that the cobweb was in a conspicuous place, or rather its signature trail. I decided to remove it with a hot iron. The effect was aggravated - the cobweb was smeared and, as it might seem, got used to the fabric. I was in shock and panic. Then she wiped a wet and shiny trace from the melted cobweb with a swab dipped in alcohol. I looked, and after a few minutes it dried up and became somehow drier or something (apparently the alcohol evaporates quickly and dries the cobweb. I rubbed the track four more times. And then I took a thick horse needle and began to scrap the cobweb. AND MIRACLE! She started to slide down and completely to fly off with a slip of cloth from my fabric, but where I didn’t try to remove the cobweb with a hot iron, but just rubbed it with cotton wool with alcohol, the cobweb rolled down by itself - and without scraping)))))
To what temperature to heat the iron when working with synthetics depends on the type of synthetics itself. I recommend looking for a care label on the blouse, it should say what temperature it can be ironed at. Put the iron at the indicated temperature and stick the patch through the double gauze (or similar material). If there is no label, be guided by the following parameters: cotton with the addition of polyester - 110 ° С, polyester - minimum mode, nylon - 60-80 ° С.
Sergey Sergeev, http://www.promvishivka.ru/kak_prikleit_nashivku.html
There are special patches made of adhesive materials (non-woven or doubler), which are fixed with a hot iron. On any thin fabric, such patches hold very well, but it is advisable to hem the thick fabric.