This article is a more in-depth continuation of the one in which we described common ways to clear memory. If you are wondering how to clear the internal memory on Android manually or using third-party applications, we will help with finding a solution.
We will analyze the cleaning example on a smartphone. Let's say we bought a new phone with integrated memory 32gigabytes, but in fact only 26 are available. We will not immediately run to the store and return the goods, but will begin to figure out what’s the matter.
To see how much free internal memory the system can have, go to the “Settings” in the “Memory" or "Storage". It is important to note that each phone model reserves a different amount of memory for the system.
Please note that on devices with their own proprietary firmware installed (for example, Xiaomi, Meizu), the memory will be initially occupied even more. The same applies to RAM: for the normal functioning of such smartphones, a minimum of 3 GB is required.
How to completely clear the internal memory of Android
If you do not have SuperSU rights, then of course you can’t completely clear the smartphone or tablet. The lack of this feature seriously limits your actions. After reading our article on how to get Ruth rights, you can completely remove all garbage from the device. But if you do not want to lose the official guarantee, then it will be possible to fulfill approximately half of the following.
To free up system memory, follow these steps:
- Go to the menu item "Settings",
- Find the section "Applications",
- Go to item Third-Party Applications,
- Click on the ellipsis in the upper right corner,
- Sort the list by size.
Uninstall an application or its updates
After you have completed the above steps, after a few seconds you will see the most voluminous applications stored on the Android device. If among the list there are those programs that you do not use, you just need to delete them.
But if you are determined to remove system applications that do not bring you any benefit, we recommend that you read our article on this topic. For example, they set a third-party excellent alarm clock, the built-in one is no longer needed, but he doesn’t want to leave the standard method. Also, do not forget that the desire to free up more space can lead to the fact that you delete the files necessary for the operating system, and this increases the risk of a “brick”.
Effectively clear internal memory on your phone and tablet
The cleaning process is almost universal and is not particularly different for smartphones and tablets. It is important to take into account the version of Android and the brand of your device.
If you cleaned everything, deleted unnecessary applications and you still have little memory, the choice is small.need to get root user rights. If possible, some applications should be transferred to a memory card.
As you can see, there are methods to free up the internal memory on the phone, but if it was initially small, and you also loaded various materials there, such methods will not help much. Alternatively, you can use cloud servers for reliable storage, but the best solution is buying a phone with a volume of at least 32 GB for average use.
Cleaning phone from junk files
If the memory of your Android phone is full, the first thing we recommend is to remove applications, downloads and system trash. The largest amount of space on the smartphone is occupied by the download folder and installed applications. An effective way to free up enough memory is to remove all unnecessary.
How to clear the phone’s internal memory:
- Analyze all applications on the smartphone desktop. Most likely, it will be possible to find several unnecessary or few useful applications that have not been used for a long time. It’s better to remove them in order to free up memory,
- Another common reason why the phone’s memory is full is that it stores a lot of videos and photos. We can filter out bad photos and useless videos. This may already solve the problem. If all the media data is needed or their removal did not help to free up enough memory, all that remains is to transfer the files. We recommend moving the data to a USB flash drive or transferring it to a computer,
- Clear downloaded files from instant messengers. They by default download the sent photos to the phone. Because of this, various postcards, greetings, photos of strangers and more are accumulated in the smartphone’s storage. The easiest way to clear this section is to use a computer. Through Explorer, we can open the folder of the same name with the messenger and remove its contents,
- Check the folder in which the browser downloads all files. A lot of data accumulates here, clearing them will help to free up a lot of space.
These are the most effective ways to free up space on the phone, but they do not help everyone. Is there a problem with insufficient memory? - Read on.
Removing information from .thumbnails folder on Android
Probably few know, but when viewing the gallery, the Android system creates thumbnails - these are small snapshots of pictures. Their main task is to increase the speed of the next file download. It is easy to guess that these sketches occupy a place and have minimal practical benefit.
What to do if the phone memory is full:
- We connect the smartphone to the PC and turn on the “File Transfer” mode.
- Open the "DCIM" section in the phone section.
- Go to the ".thumbnails" directory.
- Press the combination Ctrl + A and delete all the contents.
Over time, this section accumulates data for 1-2 GB. Only their removal will help the phone, perhaps it will even stop braking.
Important! We recommend performing this action at regular intervals. Depending on the activity of using a smartphone, this is 1-3 weeks. If you forget to perform the cleaning, the same number of files will accumulate in the section again.
Another way to free up space on the phone is to delete the cache. Cache are temporary files designed to speed up data processing. Actively used data is placed here. Instead of reprocessing the data when the application loads, they are simply taken from the cache.
As in the past case, in small quantities the cache is useful, and in large - it can slow down the smartphone. This procedure is ready to give from 500 MB to 2-4 GB of free space and even more.
How to clear the phone storage by deleting the cache:
- Open the "Settings" application.
- We are looking for the section “System and device” and click on the item “Storage”.
- After calculating the data occupied by the cache, click on the item "Cache data".
- In the "Clear Cache" window, select "Ok."
By the way, due to an incorrectly formed cache, there is a situation when the phone’s memory is full, although there is nothing there. Usually, the utility for accessing the official Google Play store reports that the memory is busy. This notification appears when you try to install any application.
How to remove cache from Google Play:
- In the "Settings" menu we are looking for the "Applications" section.
- Select "All applications."
- We find the line "Google Play Store" and click on it.
- From the bottom, click on the “Clear” button and select “Clear Cache”.
Useful! Often, special applications are used to delete the cache, they do not require root access and do everything in a couple of clicks. To do this, we can use CCleaner or Clean Master.
Change settings on an Android smartphone
Now we learn about a method that is ready to give more free memory than any other method. This is a radical way to free up memory on the phone, the essence of which is to reset the settings to the factory state. The local storage will be formatted. The output is a completely clean smartphone.
Important! We recommend this method only if the other methods did not help.
How to clear phone memory:
- We enter the “Settings” menu and find the item “System and device”.
- Open "Advanced Settings" and at the end of the page click on "Restore and Reset."
- At the bottom of the list, select "Reset Settings".
- Click on "All files on the phone" and confirm the action.
In the end, we left another good way that requires little cash investment.
Replacing a memory card
We can simply purchase a larger microSD card. Modern smartphones typically support 128 GB drives. With such a volume of storage, a lack of space should not be observed.
Important! Many smartphones have a combined slot. This means that in the second slot we can install either a 2nd SIM or microSD-card. You have to set priorities correctly.
Brief summary: the lack of memory is easily eliminated by deleting temporary and useless files. If you want to save all the data, we can just install a more capacious flash drive. If many data from the phone is out of date, it makes sense to transfer everything you need to the computer and format the smartphone. Resetting to factory settings frees up the most space.
If you still have questions on the topic “There is nothing on the Android phone, but the memory is full: 5 tips for solving the problem”, you can ask them in the comment